Hedgehog seems sick and inactive - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gracefulchaos01

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2014, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog seems sick and inactive

Hello, I have a hedgehog named Uni who is about 3 months old. I just got him 2 days ago. I am not sure if he is being nervous because of the new environment or if he is not feeling well. He's been eating very little of the hedgehog food I give him, and is drinking little water as well. He only pooped and peed once when I took him out of his cage to the carpet in 2 days. Also, he sneezed out some thick mucus last night and keeps licking his nose. He seems to be sleepy all the time even at night. I am a pretty late sleeper, I tried to turn off the lights to listen to his movements at night but all I heard was him digging in his bedding then he went back to sleep again. He is not interested in his wheel at all. When I tried to put him on it and slowly turned it to show him how it works, he would jump down from it instantly. Is my hedgehog healthy? And are these behaviours normal? I am pretty concerned as the vet that I called does not have a doctor specialized in hedgehogs until next Wednesday. I would appreciate any experienced answers. Thanks a lot!
uni0914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Do you have any kind of heating for him? What's the temperature in his cage?

What kind of hedgehog food are you giving him? Hedgehog food really isn't good, most of the foods have pretty bad ingredients or they're downright dangerous. Is hedgehog food what he was getting at his previous place? It'd be best to check into getting a good quality cat food and slowly mixing that in with the hedgehog food. Hopefully he'll eat more of a good cat food. If he won't eat on his own, you may have to syringe feed him. It would be a good idea to get some stuff for syringe-feeding him today, since it's already been two days of not eating much. Hedgehogs can't go very long without eating before it can get dangerous for them. It'd also be a good idea to weigh or measure his food out at night, and then check again in the morning so you know exactly how much he's eating. It's best to do that all the time anyway, as it's a good indicator of illness or something wrong.

It does sound like he might have a URI, so he does need to go to the vet. Sooner rather than later would be best. URIs can quickly turn into pneumonia and get serious. I would call the vet back and see if you can get him in any earlier. See if there's any other vets at the clinic that can see hedgehogs sometimes, even if it's not their specialty. Otherwise, check around to other vets in the area as well.

Also, that said, it is normal for baby hedgehogs to sleep most of the time. But it's not normal for him to not being eating much or to be sneezing or having mucus.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for the advices! I will check with the vet today and get him some higher quality cat food to see if he will start eating more. I moved his cage closer to the heater last night. He seems to be doing a lot better today! I see some poopie on his wheel which means he has ran on it last night. He also ate about 13 kibbles and drank some water. I am more relieved now! Thank you!

Old 09-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I turned the heat up to about 30 degrees in my room, and I am going to get him a heat lamp today.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

CHE. get him a CHE. Not a lamp with a light, not an ultraviolet lamp. Nothing light related. Just a heat emitter with a thermostat so he stays warm and cozy.
Lilysmommy likes this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in