Mixed Brown, Green and Red poop - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kalandra
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
lturull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Exclamation Mixed Brown, Green and Red poop

Hello,
I bought my hedgehog about a week and a half ago. Shes bonded with me very quickly and is always very up and active so never leads me to believe anything is bothering her. It's 7:48am and I just woke up to check on her and I noticed a pile of poop that has a mixture of brown, green and red. I feel concerned but I'm not sure if there's a complete need to be concerned. What could it be and is it something serious? Also I believe she may be quilling as I know sometimes poop colors change with stress. Please respond if you have knowledge on this because she's like my baby and I'm really worried. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (123.4 KB, 30 views)
__________________
Lilly🌹
lturull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Lilysmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 11,963
Default

Green is the usual stress color. The red is a concern and could be blood. I would take a sample in to the vet and possibly her too. She could have something going on. Has she gotten into anything unusual and possibly eaten it? What kind of food does she get? Have you given her any new foods or treats recently?
__________________
~*~*~ Kelsey ~*~*~

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
lturull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Green is the usual stress color. The red is a concern and could be blood. I would take a sample in to the vet and possibly her too. She could have something going on. Has she gotten into anything unusual and possibly eaten it? What kind of food does she get? Have you given her any new foods or treats recently?
I know, I'm really worried. She hasn't gotten into anything odd, I watch her very carefully and make sure there's never anything around her that she can eat. She eats Natural Balance Green pea and Duck Cat food. She was eating delicat and I slowly moved her into the NB. She had a strawberry yogurt treat last night someone had recommended but I gave her a very small piece. could it be that?
__________________
Lilly🌹
lturull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
coffeebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 212
Default

the red would concern me.
coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,556
Default

To me that image looks like it has a lot of undigested food, mucous and some blood which is likely caused by a very upset bowel. What does it smell like? I know you haven't had her long enough to determine normal odor for her, but is it overly strong or putrid smelling? Undigested food will smell a lot more than normal stool.

You've had her 1.5 weeks and have completely changed her diet? That is not very slow when it comes to hedgehogs. We typically only change 1/4 per week. Add in a new home, new treats, and I think what you are likely seeing is a hedgehog with a very upset GI.

I'd take a sample into the veterinarian to have it examined just to be certain there isn't a bacterial infection causing the mucous and blood. I'd also discuss adding some probiotics with him to help settle the GI.
Lilysmommy and CoffeeKat like this.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
lturull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra View Post
To me that image looks like it has a lot of undigested food, mucous and some blood which is likely caused by a very upset bowel. What does it smell like? I know you haven't had her long enough to determine normal odor for her, but is it overly strong or putrid smelling? Undigested food will smell a lot more than normal stool.

You've had her 1.5 weeks and have completely changed her diet? That is not very slow when it comes to hedgehogs. We typically only change 1/4 per week. Add in a new home, new treats, and I think what you are likely seeing is a hedgehog with a very upset GI.

I'd take a sample into the veterinarian to have it examined just to be certain there isn't a bacterial infection causing the mucous and blood. I'd also discuss adding some probiotics with him to help settle the GI.
no I 've been moving her onto NB slowly, she still has her old food in the mix that I give her and she eats all of it. I didn't shock her into eating new food. I have not completely changed her diet yet.

It's not very smelly. It has a light odor.
__________________
Lilly🌹

Last edited by lturull; 09-15-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
lturull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,556
Default

Gotcha, your post above made me worry. If she hasn't had a quick change over, then a veterinary appointment is definitely needed, especially if the stool continues to look that mucousy.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
lturull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra View Post
Gotcha, your post above made me worry. If she hasn't had a quick change over, then a veterinary appointment is definitely needed, especially if the stool continues to look that mucousy.
okay, thank you!
__________________
Lilly🌹
lturull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
green, green poop, poop, stool, worried

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Green/Dark Brown Solid Poop? Miles' Mom Fecal & Intestinal issues 2 05-27-2014 10:04 AM
Fall in appetite, mixture of green and brown poops Jem Health 14 03-12-2014 07:08 PM
Hedgehog has green poop and green pee!!! URGENT Buttercup94 Health 10 03-06-2013 02:13 AM
Green pea and duck and green poop SilverQuill Diet and Nutrition 7 01-25-2010 08:31 AM
Hard, brown/green poop kitty_cat Health 10 08-22-2009 02:04 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum