Hedgehog eating behavior - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HaoZ
  • 2 Post By HaoZ

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog eating behavior

My hedgehogs have been eating oddly recently. My female hedgehogs, Cocoa isn't eating much as I wants her to eat. She doesn't even finish half her bowl but her weight is always constant at around 250g. My male hedgehog, teddy shown sign of improvements in his weight but his not eating much food too. I feed them hills-chicken and rice grain recipe mix with iams for young kitten and the other iams brand (I forgotten the name). I am always thinking that the food is not satisfy for the hedgehogs. Cocoa is a runner while teddy has round shape body. Any solutions ? They are going to be 4 months old soon. I am starting to worry. D:
HaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Where are you located? Science Diet and Iams are not good foods, though many vets & advertisements would have you believe differently. Depending on where you live, hopefully you might have access to better quality foods that you could try them on.

At their age, they should still be growing a bit, usually. Hedgehogs tend to grow at least until 6 months (when they're considered adults), and even afterwards they usually grow and fill out a bit more. So I'd be a bit concerned about their weight staying steady too.

A couple questions that might help figure out why - how long have you had the bags of food? Are they old bags? Or did you just buy brand new bags? Sometimes as kibble starts getting stale, hedgehogs will eat less or stop eating completely. Or if they're brand new bags, perhaps there was a slight change to formula that is causing them to go off their food.

What temperature is their cage? Do they get 12-14 hours of light daily?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Where are you located? Science Diet and Iams are not good foods, though many vets & advertisements would have you believe differently. Depending on where you live, hopefully you might have access to better quality foods that you could try them on.

At their age, they should still be growing a bit, usually. Hedgehogs tend to grow at least until 6 months (when they're considered adults), and even afterwards they usually grow and fill out a bit more. So I'd be a bit concerned about their weight staying steady too.

A couple questions that might help figure out why - how long have you had the bags of food? Are they old bags? Or did you just buy brand new bags? Sometimes as kibble starts getting stale, hedgehogs will eat less or stop eating completely. Or if they're brand new bags, perhaps there was a slight change to formula that is causing them to go off their food.

What temperature is their cage? Do they get 12-14 hours of light daily?
I live in malaysia. The hills food are brand new while the iams brand food are 3 months old+. Their temperature is 27-30 degres celcious. I don't see the temperature as a problem. They get light from the sunlight passing through the window and my house light. I give them more than 14 hours of lights which is from 7am-12am. Light couldn't be the main source of the problem. The first day I had them , they were eating fine and we're strong water. They would eat up the whole bowl of food but now no. Do I think evo brand or blackwood brand is good?how about royal canine?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ah sorry, I forgot you're in Malaysia! Heat & light are definitely not a concern then, heh.

Hm...I forgot, it could also be just that they're getting older & leveling out in how much they eat. That's not uncommon with hedgehogs. Babies tend to eat more in general, then they taper off as they get older. I would still consider the lack of any more weight gain to be slightly concerning though & would keep an eye on it. You don't want them overweight, but it's possible that your girl especially might need a food with higher fat if she starts to get a bit too skinny, with her body shape.

Evo is a great brand! You'll want to check the percentages though, I believe it's usually quite high in protein. You want to aim for 30-35% protein overall. If it's paired with a couple low-protein foods, it might be okay to include, though. The Blackwood foods look good too! The formulas that include grains don't look quite as good as brands like Evo, but still better than Iams, in my opinion.

You know, I forgot that Hills has been branching out. Do you know exactly which Hills food you have? If you can get the Hills Ideal Balance foods, they're not as bad as the others, and they're better than Iams.

Here's what I think I'd do (not saying you have to, but a suggestion)...If you can get Hills Ideal Balance, I would get one of those formulas (if it's not what you already have). Something like http://www.hillspet.com/products/ib-...urkey-dry.html or http://www.hillspet.com/products/ib-...-rice-dry.html

You could add that to one of the Blackwood foods, such as http://blackwoodpetfood.com/recipes/everyday-adult-cat/ and Evo cat & kitten food. The Evo food is 50% protein, but if you make sure they're eating all three of the foods, and maybe limit the Evo food a bit more, the protein percentages should average out to close to 35%.

You can also check out the dog foods for those brands. Dog food is generally lower in protein, so if you're willing & able to break the kibble up so it's small enough for your hedgehogs to eat easily, that might be another great resource.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have the hills ideal balance natural chicken and brown rice recipe. I am feeding them with it . I mixed it with 2 tablespoon of mealworms everyday. They seem to finish the mealworms than finishing the kibbles. Cocoa is always active and happy. Teddy is a bit lazy but he seems to move a lot now. They don't like to eat fruits. I tried apple, banana , mango and eggs. They take a bite and they don't like it. I am trying to grt hold of natural balance pea and salmon for them. Maybe a different flavor to them would excite them. I will try to offer different cat food brands and see if they are interested or not.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds like you're doing great with their diet! New foods certainly wouldn't hurt to introduce, but as long as they don't end up getting too thin, they should be just fine. If you can find watermelon or other melons, those tend to be a popular favorite with hedgehogs, you could try that. Pretty common for hedgies to be picky about treats though!

Old 09-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I will try feeding them watermelons and hope they eat it. i hope they are healthy and grows to big fat hedgehogs. Finger cross.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in