Hedgehog may have licked mosquito repellant!!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By pimpinpip
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog may have licked mosquito repellant!!!!

This is my first hedgehog he's about 8 weeks old and he and I were on my floor in the dark and I saw him sniffing right next to a bottle of bug spray that fell on the floor the other day so I went to pick it up and it was LEAKING and I think he may have licked some of it up!! I picked him up and his nose was wet so I wiped his face off and gave him a quick foot bath and tried to wipe his nose and mouth off as much as he'd let me, and after his (first) foot bath he started sneezing a little bit!!
How do I know if he licked any of it up?? He was only next to it for a fee seconds! What should I look for?? What is there to do?? It's midnight right now and I'm not sure if he licked any up or not but now I'm really panicking!

If it matters the mosquito repellant is Off familycare unscented with aloe vera.

What should I do right now??
pimpinpip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would call poison control. See how toxic it is to small mammals. They may be able to at least suggest whether or not to try to induce vomiting.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinydistraction View Post
I would call poison control. See how toxic it is to small mammals. They may be able to at least suggest whether or not to try to induce vomiting.

I called and they said they didn't have that kind of information. Should I try to get him to vomit any ways?? It's almost been a half hour!!

Old 09-13-2014, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Some poisons do more damage coming up than going down. I think there may be a poison control for animals. Also I would call emergency vets as well. How has he been acting in the mean time? Also, check the can. There may be a number on it to call in the event it's ingested.

Last edited by shinydistraction; 09-13-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: forgot something
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Call emergency vets. Any kind of poison control listed on the bottle would be for humans, they won't be able to help you with hedgehogs. I would not induce vomiting personally, it can be very painful, damaging, & stressful, and usually the things you use to induce vomiting are pretty harsh on their system too. Call around to any and all vet numbers you can find & see if you can get a hold of someone.

In the meantime, I would try getting water into him, to see if you can dilute it if he did lick any. Syringe him some water (carefully, so he doesn't aspirate). Keep a very close eye on him for at least 24 hours and any signs of abnormal behavior, get him to a vet ASAP.
Nancy and ellisrks01 like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you both for your replies!!
Thankfully I don't think he actually ingested any but better to be safe then sorry. I was too worried to sleep last night and listened to him play in his cage and run on his wheel all night- it was seriously a lullaby, I was so relieved! He's up tonight doing the same thing and he's acting completely normal!
I'm working on making a safer play area for him now, cuz that scare almost gave me a heart attack, lol!
Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad all seems to be well so far. And that sounds like a good idea! These little guys can zero right in on anything you don't want them to mess around with.
Crowley is loved likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hedgehogs have an uncanny ability to metabolize toxins. They are not like most animals. I'm not saying it isn't an issue but it's just something to keep in mind. Look it up for more info it's part of the foaming process for them. Hope I was helpful I'm new here.
Sly&Harley14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
mosquito repellant, possibl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in