Reation to revolution, do I need to seek a vet immediatly? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reation to revolution, do I need to seek a vet immediatly?

Our baby Ryoko just turned 6 weeks old yesterday... We got her from the breeder in our area 7 days ago but she came with a heavy mite infestation... The vet didn't even have to do a skin scrape all she ha to do is stick a piece of clear tape against her quills and look under the scope... She wanted to do the Ivermectin topical treatment but I informed her of my concerns in using Ivermectin and I got a script for Revolution.. Since she is so small we where prescribed a .01 mil dose between her shoulder blades ever other week for 3 doses...
Last night we gave her, her first dose. I cleaned out the cage and all was well... About 4 hours later I started yo notice what looks like yellow clumps on the ends of her quills and fur, and this morning I am noticing even more with little chunks of yellow spread around her cage... Even some of her white quills are now yellowish tented..
I contacted the breeder and she stated that she was too young to revive the treatment and that yellow clumps is her skin cells dieing. I know we couldn't of waited until she was 6 months and I avoided avoided the Ivermectin and I am positive we gave her exactly .01 mil as my girlfriend is a developmental scientist and we borrowed a calibrated pipeter.
Are these just dead mites clumping together or are we in serious trouble.
Pocketsneak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Reation to revolution, do I need to seek a vet immediatly?

Sorry...I can't help with this one.. I just wanted to tell you I'm thinking about you and to hang in there for a few more minutes...Nancy will likely respond and she's SMART!

Edit: Maybe PM her - she may be more likely to see a PM message. In case you don't know where to find her: Just scroll through the Health thread - she is the OP for the Choking post.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your thoughts I can't do anything until I get out of work today, though I am going home to check on her in about 30 for my lunch. Sorry about the double words and missing letters as I'm typing from my iPhone and I have a bit of the new parent panic.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I *think* you're going to be okay.

I've read posts of rather young hedgies receiving Revolution and doing just fine. Good job using the Revloution instead of Ivomec.

I'll leave the official answer up to more experienced owners (like Nancy, as suggested). In the meanwhile, know that you can always call your vet and describe what's going on.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ya i will give her a call here in a bit, i'm hoping that because it was such a heavy infestation that i'm just seeing a lot of dead mites.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

She is not too young to be treated with Revolution. It is safe at 5 weeks and I think even younger but I wouldn't risk it prior to 5 weeks. Even if you goofed on the dosage, Revolution is just about impossible to overdose.

I suspect what you are seeing is dead mites and possibly mite feces. Mite infestations can cause a orangish or yellowish crust around the base of the quills and this is probably starting to fall off.

Revolution is safe and that I know of, there has never been an adverse reaction other than a bit of skin irritation at the drop site.

I wouldn't worry too much. Tomorrow you can give her a nice warm bath and wash all the dead mites and crap off of her.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just got home and checked her our.. this stuff is all over her cage atm...in her mid section i can see yellow crusty bits down around her spines and at the tips of the spines on her rump and head i took a pick...any idea how long i have to wait to bath her after the dose of revolution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (2).JPG (136.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Yep, that's from mites.

You can bath after 24 hours.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thats great news!!! Is that just a bunch of dead mites clumped together?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

I just wanted to report that Ryoko seems to be doing better... The yellow crusties are gone and all I really see is the dead skin on her fleese liner that I change everyday... Right now I am cleaning her cage out and all her toys/tubes with a mild bleach solution, the i wipe everything down with hot water again to get ride of the smell, but I'm seeing reports that is to strong.. I wana make sure I kill all those mites so she doesn't get re-infested... So if not bleach what? Non-bleach clorox wipes? I'm hearing 50/50 vinegar water mix ( can't imagin that doesn't leave a strong smell though....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in