paranoid mom - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default paranoid mom

It's me again, the worrywort mom. i went to pick up my little hedgie last night and she just would not come out of her ball. i was holding her for about 15 mins and tried putting her down and she stayed balled up. Woke up this morning to see she had eaten like usual and drank and had been on her wheel (poop in her wheel). Picked her up again this morning and she still wasn't too interested in coming out and walking around. She poked her head out and sniffed but still not too interested in coming out. I'm hoping she was just tired and wanted to sleep and that this is normal. She is 8 wks old and I've had her for 2 wks. Please tell me I'm just worrying too much. She does seem to be more comfortable with me now though. Not quite so much huffing and sticking her quills up.

mcwojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: paranoid mom

To add to the message above. I was off work for two weeks (when I got her) now I am back to work so the schedule has changed.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

It takes much longer than 2 weeks for hedgehogs to get settled into a predictable routine. If your schedule changed also that can be enough to change behaviour. Also quilling can effect mood so if that is happening it can make them pretty grumpy.

Overall huffiness and mood changes in the beginning are normal. Some days your hedgehog might want to explore others she might just want to sleep. Babies sleep a lot more too so it's normal for them to be very sleepy.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

What's the temperature in the cage?

First thing that comes to mind when hedgies are not coming out of their ball or interested in walking around is hibernation attempt to me.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Snarf is almost 2 years old; has lived with us for 3ish months and some days he STILL acts like he did when he first arrived. They have their own moods and personalities and temperaments...some days no wheel...some days won't eat...next day wheels...green poop!...perfect poop...races around cage...sleeps for 24 hours straight...scratches self...

They were sent to teach us patience and to encourage us to obsessively question everything we do (I'm not sure WHY we are being tested and prepared...)
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

She had just been out with my daughter about 1/2 hour before I took her out the first time last night. She was out last night, like she always is, and she explored a little this morning. Now I'm worried about the hibernation thing. It is anywhere between 70 to 80 degrees and she is about 81 degrees ( i use a digital temp guage that tells you the air and surrounding temps).

Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
Snarf is almost 2 years old; has lived with us for 3ish months and some days he STILL acts like he did when he first arrived. They have their own moods and personalities and temperaments...some days no wheel...some days won't eat...next day wheels...green poop!...perfect poop...races around cage...sleeps for 24 hours straight...scratches self...

They were sent to teach us patience and to encourage us to obsessively question everything we do (I'm not sure WHY we are being tested and prepared...)
Thank you so much for your comment. As I said I am such a worry wort and when someone mentioned hibernation, I freaked!!!! I do think she is fine. I found a couple quills on her wheel so I think she might be quilling and just had a grumpy night. This morning she actually was sniffing around and unballed. I just don't want anything bad to happen to her.
Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwojo
Now I'm worried about the hibernation thing. It is anywhere between 70 to 80 degrees and she is about 81 degrees ( i use a digital temp guage that tells you the air and surrounding temps).
I know some hedgehogs are very sensitive to temperature changes, even within the correct temperature range (72-80). Sometimes a quick change of a few degrees can upset them. What are you using to heat the cage, and do you have a digital thermometer that constantly measures the cage temperature?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Hejji
I know some hedgehogs are very sensitive to temperature changes, even within the correct temperature range (72-80). Sometimes a quick change of a few degrees can upset them. What are you using to heat the cage, and do you have a digital thermometer that constantly measures the cage temperature?
That's exactly what I was about to ask!!!

An accurate digital thermometer is an absolute must! Or you will lose sleep and your job and your hair will turn premature grey (if you have any left).
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am using a light and I don't have a thermometer in the cage I have a digital hand held one that I use. The constant temp hasn't changed since I have had her. Would a couple degrees make her go into hibernation?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in