HELP...sick hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy HELP...sick hedgie

For the past few days my hedgie has not been acting right. It started Saturday and he was breathing heavily, making strange noises, and foaming at the mouth(not anointing). He wouldn't eat or drink, he is 5 years old and I thought he was dying; I had no idea what to do and the vet was closed. By Monday he was no longer making the strange breathing noises but he was still very sluggish/wobbly and he still was not eating or drinking. I've been trying to hand feed him but he still doesn't eat enough and he has started to drink the water but only when I put it next to him. Today I also noticed that his poo was very slimed/rubbery and it seemed like he may be having trouble. I'm not sure what to do... I don't know if he is sick or if he is dying of old age. I know he has to go to a vet but I don't know if there is one around here that would know what to do; I can't stand to see him suffer.
Ebanc2497 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get him into a vet ASAP. If he has been like this for a few days, he needs to see a vet. Try and find any exotic vets in your area, or an emergency clinic that will see exotics. If you can't, any vet or emergency clinic that is willing to take a look at him is better than nothing. They might be able to get somewhat of an idea as to what is going on with him, and they might be able to refer you to someone with exotic experience.

You also should start syringe feeding him. Grind up some of his kibble and mix it with water, or get a wet cat food like Hills. Baby food can also work. Load up a syringe with some of your wet food mix, and try and get a little into his mouth. Let him swallow, and then put in a little more. You want to get around 24mL of food in them each day, or close to that. 1mL equals one hour, so if he eats 6mL, you can wait 6 hours before you try and feed him again.

Here's the syringe-feeding sticky:https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html

Good luck and I hope you find out what's wrong with him soon!

6-23-11 ~ 8-18-14
lilythehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Does he feel warm? What temperature is his cage? You need to make sure he's kept warm enough right now, since being too cool could make his condition that much worse. What are you trying to hand-feed him? Are you using a syringe, or just trying to offer him foods by hand?

It does sound like he needs to go to a vet. Do you have one you've ever taken him to before? If not, just start calling around. Find out if anyone has experience with hedgehogs, or at least with other "pocket pets" such as guinea pigs, ferrets, hamsters, etc. Even if they don't have the experience, if they're willing to work with you & do research to help figure out what's going on, that's better than nothing. It definitely sounds like he needs veterinary attention, as soon as you can get him in.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
help needed, sick, sick hedgehog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in