New "Mom" & having problems - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New "Mom" & having problems

Hi,

I got my first hedgie, Herman, on December 17th. He was 11 weeks old when I got him. Today is the second day he has not eaten. He has been scratching himself like crazy, and like biting the quills on his back. I've given him oatmean baths, 2 of the now, since I've had him. And I also haven't seen any mites. Right now, he is in my lap curled up in a blanket. I woke him up a little bit ago and he was showing signs (from what I've read) of being too cold.

I don't know what else to do. I'm really worried and I don't want anything to happen to him. Can somebody help me? Money is tight right now and a doctor is my last resort. Any more "home fixes" I can try?

Thanks,

Herman's Mommy
HermansMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New "Mom" & having problems

I am glad you have him with you, it is important to warm him up immediately to prevent hibernation. Don't put him in warm water (sometimes people think this will help) because it will actually worsen the situation. Keep warming him up and he should start to move around and become less sluggish.

Here is copy/paste from the hibernation thread (I added the link below because it has more information that you should read when you can, but right now warming your hedgehog up is priority)

If your hog does attempt to hibernate:

- WARM THEM UP IMMEDIATELY! There are a couple of ways to warm the hedgehog. You want him to warm up slowly. You can put him under your clothing and let your body heat warm him. Set a human heating pad on you on low and cover with a towel. Sit with hedgie on the heating pad but NEVER leave him unattended. If there is no response within 40-60 minutes of warming, he needs to see a vet immediately.

- DO NOT put your hedgie in warm water. This is too sudden a warming. Most hedgehogs do not like water and will make the situation worse.

Once a hedgehog has attempted hibernation there is a good chance he will do it again within a week. His cage environment needs to be kept warmer and care must be taken to ensure he does not get cool again. Each hibernation attempt lowers the hedgehog immune system which leaves them at risk for illness.

Signs of Hibernation:

-A cool belly
-Curled into a ball- and unable to uncurl
-Unable to stand or hold up head
-Wobblyness
-Slowed reactions
-Lethargy, not eating as much, not as active as they once were. These may be signs that the temperature is too cool for them to function normally, but not cool enough to induce hibernation. Bump up the temp.

Link to helpful info: https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...c.php?f=5&t=41
Old 12-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lightbulb Re: New "Mom" & having problems

My Herman was deffinately cold! He is and has been for the last 5 minutes running around inside my jacket and being his usual curious self. He likes to crawl up my chest and around my neck, and was just doing it! I'm really happy about that. Now, I just need to get him to eat again.

The only other thing I'm worried about it quilling. How much do I bath him? And I haven't really seen any lose of quills yet.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

What is the temperature of his cage? What sort of heating are you using?
It's possible that because his cage is too cold, that he is refusing to come out of his bed, thus unable to eat. Have you tried leaving some kibble inside his bed?

Usually, for quilling babies, it's 1 bath per week.

Also, you will almost always never see mites. And there is no 100% sure way of knowing that it is or isn't mites. As long as you see continual quill growth(new quills coming out of his back) then you should be fine.

What is his skin like? If it's overly dry, you may want to think about adding an oil rinse after the bath as well. Most here use Flax seed oil capsules, as it's readily available at any pharmacy section of any store, and it's also used as a feeding supplement(though I would suggest waiting a few more weeks for him to get settled before feeding). Just pop open 1 capsule, empty into a small cup, add some warm water, and pour over his back.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't have a temperature gauge in his cage but it's in the hottest room in my house and I have a small electric heater sitting near it. The temperature on that is set on 75 degrees F. I just checked on him and he's been running around and playing. Just no eating, but I will try putting some food in his bed with him.

His skin isn't dry, just a light pinker color than normal. I haven't seen any quills laying around though, so I don't know if it is quilling or not. I gave him a bath last night and I want to wash him again but I'm not sure when I should again. I just want him to stop itching. I feel bad for him.

I also want him to eat. I haven't seen him eat since he got warm again. He did take a sip of water but that was it. And I can tell how much he's eating or drinking because of the amount. He also used the bathroom for the first time since early afternoon yesterday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in