Comparing blood test results: - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Comparing blood test results:

Can anyone here compare blood test results and give me some advance understanding of things for when I talk to Sophie's vet? Issues that you see? Questions that I should ask? Tests that maybe I don't know about but should?

Note: Sophie was ailing from cystitis at the time of the first blood test. That was fully cured with a major diet change (switching from primarily a dry kibble diet to an all wet-food and natural-food diet). The vet said her blood test results were generally excellent. The only issue was an indication of dehydration which was further aggravating the cystitis. (I don't know how she decided that there was some dehydration, but evidently it's there if you know what you are looking at.)

This vet visit was simply a standard check-up visit, but I asked for any additional tests that could be done that would provide indicators toward the completeness and correctness of her current diet.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like they can test for all that much really??? I'm especially interested to know if she is getting too much or too little of any individual vitamin, enzyme . . . whatever. So - I am disappointed that it looks like her diet will be less scientifically validated / influenced and continue to remain more 'best guess' and best effort???

The new blood test results were sent to me today by email. The vet has not yet followed-up by phone or email, so I would like to learn more about what this test says, as well as how it compares to the previous test, so that I can have the most complete consultation possible. I want to ask the relevent questions and learn as much as I can.

I am hoping that the vet will say, "She's fine, nothing to see here", but don't know yet. Maybe she will get with me tomorrow (Friday).

Some of the numbers in the right-side column are quite a bit different in the newest blood panel, but I have no idea what they mean or if it matters.

The new blood test results have additional marker data for chemistry that the first blood test results did not have, such as calcium and phosphorous, but most of it doesn't mean anything to me. This data seems very limited, but I specifically asked for anything that would help with her diet, so I guess this is most of what can be known??? Or the most of what can be known within reasonable financial limitations. Budget was on the table, but the vet didn't mention leaving out certain tests because of high costs - or that certain tests could be included because they wouldn't add much cost???

Blood test results: 1 year, 5 months old -
http://www.serenebreezes.com/Sophie-...onths-edit.pdf

Blood test results: 2 years, 8 months old -
http://www.serenebreezes.com/Sophie-...onths-edit.pdf

Oops. Part of the data got lopped off. Here are the last few markers that should be in the link above -
http://www.serenebreezes.com/Sophie-...ths-b-edit.pdf

Urine test results: 2 years, 8 months old -
http://www.serenebreezes.com/Sophie-...-8-months.docx

Note: Unfortunately, during her exam Sophie was diagnosed with gingival hypertrophy (possibly epulides) and surgery is recommended ASAP. The decisions on that won't be made until after I have an understanding of whether these blood test results change anything. I have also posed several follow-up questions by email regarding the recommended surgery for which I have a line-item cost estimate.

Last edited by GoodandPlenty; 09-04-2014 at 09:06 PM.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is from the HWS--

NORMAL HEMATOLOGIC AND SERUM CHEMISTRY VALUES IN AFRICAN PYGMY HEDGEHOGS:

<B>HEMATOCRIT 36.0-38.5%
HEMOGLOBIN(g/dl) 12.0-13.2
PCV(%) 36-38.5
Hb(g/dl) 12-13.2
RBC(x10/ul) 7.03-7.64
MCV(fl) 49.1-53.2
MCHC(g/dl) 33.3-35.2
RETICULOCYTES(%) 8-14
WBC(/ul) 8-14
*Neutrophils(/ul) 1,600-2,800
*Lymph(ul) 3,720-6,140
*Mono(/ul) 0-840
*Eos(/ul) 360-2,400
*Baso(/ul) 96-450
BUN(mg/dl) 37-42
TOTAL PROTEIN(g/dl) 5.1-7.2
Sodium(mEq/L) 132-138
Potassium(mEq/L) 3.6-5.1
Calcium(mg/dl) 8-9.2
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in