I feel terrible - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2010, 03:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I feel terrible

I'm trying to cut Nitzy's nails, she doesn't mind being held on her back and such, it's just that.. I can't seem to do it. Like, I feel too bad I'm going to hurt her, or she'll scream and I'll feel terrible. How do you get over this?

Also, tried apple with her, she licked it but overall didn't seem too thrilled. :P
Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Default Re: I feel terrible

Nail cutting is one of the most uncomfortable things we have to do. At least at first.
There are a lot of different ways you can cut the nails - & it's just a matter of figuring out which one works best for you & Nitzy.
Some cut the nails while the hedgie is in their foot bath (because they won't ball up when they are in a little bit of water).
Some will wrap their hedgie like a burrito in a towel.
Some will do it when hedgie is on their back. Or sleeping. Others will just grab a foot & go.

The foot bath works for a lot of people. But I hated it. That's just because my guys did nothing but try to escape & we were all stressed out. Even with the help from my husband. I think we must not have done it right.

But, I have found what works for me & my hedgies the best & when I first get them out, I will usually flip them on their back to check their feet & legs. I will give them a mealie & while they are busy eating that, I will cut just 1 or 2 nails. That's all I can do before they get antsy & I get nervous. I am an opportunistic nail-cutter. Always have them handy & have my eyes on the ones I want to cut. When I see my chance, I grab it. I'm still a little nervous about cutting too short.

I hope that helps. If nothing more than to let you know that you're not alone. :P

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

I did it! Kind of. Haha. I didn't realize how..not strong their nails are. Though, since I'm pretty sure she's lacking some nutrition, that that might be related. Do your hedgies nails feel thin? Like, really easy to clip? I only got about two clipped until she started pooping. :P I wasn't going to cut her nails (hence not giving the time to use the bathroom), was just cleaning her cage, but she seemed in a good mood so I figured I'd give it a shot. She didn't mind me just holding her foot while she tried to get away. :P I figure eventually occupying her with food is going to be the best way.

Also, when I was puting her back in her cage (I only put her water in her cage while I got her supplies and such to refill) she actually started climbing the walls! I was like 'woah girl o.o". I tried grabbing her off so she wouldn't fall off (she was at the top!) but she wouldn't let me, so I made sure to watch her come down and make sure she was okay. The little bugger won't be able to climb once I get the rest of the supplies for C&C cage(Got the actual cubes already ^_^) :3
Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Yay! See how it's all baby steps! Totally overwhelming at first. But you just keep at it & 1 thing works out & then another & then another.

Whenever you get overwhelmed, just think of all the progress you have already made. Glad things are getting better. You'll have everything you need pretty soon.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I hate nail trimming. I hate how much it stress them. With Mustard is easy, I just grab a foot and she lets me do it, but Pete is very difficult. I have tried all methods here and what I find works best to us is to put her in the sink without water and cut only a couple that are longer. A few nights later I do the same thing, and that's how we do it. Hopefully it will get easier wig time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in