Seems weak, crusty skin, quill loss - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gnocchi.

Exclamation Seems weak, crusty skin, quill loss

Hello...

My hedgie is about 3 years old. She is fed Wellness Indoor Cat Health, and she has a wheel in her cage that she enjoys running on.

Today, when I picked her up, she seemed weak. Her eyes weren't as bright as they usually are... they seemed dull. In addition her skin was quite crusty, and the base of each little patch of fur was crusty. The skin on her face was crusty as well.... One of her ears is quite crusty looking inside, and she's losing quills.

I'm going to try to get her to the vet today, but in the meanwhile what should I do and what do you think she has?

help!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

It could be a number of things, honestly. Did the crust appear overnight? Has there been any recent changes, like temperature wise, or to her diet? How warm do you usually keep her? If her belly is cold and she seems unresponsive, she may be attempting to hibernate and she needs to be warmed up asap. Is her skin/face crusty, or does it look like dandruff coming off her skin? She may still be quilling, or something else is irritating her skin.

It's a good idea to take her to the vet just in case, especially if she still seems weak and unresponsive. Good luck!
gracefulchaos01 likes this.

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gnocchi.

The crustiness has appeared over the last week. There have been no recent changes to her diet or the climate she is kept at. Her belly doesn't seem cold... Her skin and face are crusty, yes. Some of it looks like dandruff, but most of it doesn't.

I'm going to try to get her to the vet as soon as possible...

She's still eating and drinking, but she didn't seem as excited about mealworms today and she didn't eat as many as she usually does :/

Would it be a good idea to give her an oatmeal bath and wash some of the crustiness off, or should I take her to the vet as she is now?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I created an account

This appeared over the last week or so... I have not noticed it because I haven't been able to play with her over the past week because I was very busy (I only had enough time each day to spray off her poopy wheel, clean out her food and water bowls, and lift up her pouch to check that she was breathing). The temperature that she is kept at/her diet have not changed. She is kept at around 75 degrees. Her belly is not cold, I actually have her in a pouch under my shirt right now and she's as warm as she usually is...

Her face is crusty, and she's losing some fur on her face and around her ears. This is the part that worries me... will mites cause crusty face and facial fur loss? Her eyes don't seem as bright as they usually do, either.

She's still eating and drinking.

I'll try and get pictures to post, she's a very friendly hedgie so pictures should not be a problem, if only I could figure out how to upload them to my computer. :/
Gnocchi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I email them to myself if I use my phone to take the pic.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds like either mites or a skin infection to me. Definitely going to need a vet visit to see what it is and get her treated. There are different kinds of mites, so it might be a kind that isn't what's typically found & causes problems that most people get with mites. Or it could be a fungal infection or other type of skin infection that's currently just around her facial area.

I'm not sure I'd try the bath. You don't want to get water in her eyes, ears, or nose, which could all be very likely given the area you want to wash. I don't think I'd bother, and just have the vet look her over as soon as you can get her in.
gracefulchaos01 likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I couldn't get an appointment this weekend, and of course the clinic isn't open on Labor Day... she ate mealworms yesterday when I trimmed her claws, but today she doesn't seem so lively. She's quite unresponsive and just seems to want to curl into a ball, and shows no interest in mealworms. She's breathing different, too, it seems like.... or maybe the breathing thing isn't there, and I'm just over-reacting...

any thoughts? I'm just really, really, really worried because I probably won't be able to take her to the clinic till Tuesday.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would recommend trying syringe feeding for tonight and tomorrow to keep her strength up. Just today there were a couple of threads about it with links to the main thread and ideas on what to feed them.
I want to help and that is all I can think of right now. Feed her. Keep her warm and in clean bedding.
She has to eat though. I wish I could offer more.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

She's not reacting at all to syringe feed attempts... I can't seem to get the food and such into her mouth and if I squeeze food onto her lip she doesn't lick it... any advice? Also her breathing has definitely changed, her nose isn't quivering and moist as it usually is and her breaths seem... lighter? I don't know how to describe it

Right now she's on my lap under a warm blankie.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm assuming you don't have an emergency vet on hand. That sucks. A lot.
I'm reading and it seems you have read the syringing thread. Do the best you can. It's all you can do until you can get her to a vet. Whatever she will eat. And as much as you can get into her without overdoing it. If she isn't feeling well she won't really be interested. You'll have to do the heavy lifting.
Please keep us updated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in