Vomiting? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shinydistraction
  • 1 Post By shinydistraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2014, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vomiting?

Well, I am writing this very panicked and worried. I was sitting in my room listening to Adella and Phoebe wheel, but had to quickly turn on the light as soon as I heard a choking noise.

Both were very still for a moment. But then Adella started vomiting again. It looked like white foam, though I am almost positive it wasn't anointing. Her body convulsed like she was throwing up. She sort of licked it up afterwards. I don't know what to do. I am freaking out right now.

What could be wrong with her? I know there isn't much to go on, other than that she threw up. She is still running like crazy and ate a healthy portion last night. There hasn't been a change in her diet at all.

If this adds to it, she has always has buildup in her eyes. I just assumed it was normal and wiped it away.

Also, should I take Phoebe out of the cage? If Adella is sick I don't want Phoebe to get sick as well. I would probably split the cage, but would I have to sterilize Phoebe's half since Adella's been in there?

Am I overreacting (which I really hope I am)? I feel like she needs a vet visit really soon, though the closest one is about an hour away and isn't emergency or open on the weekends. The one in town (the "exotics expert") was a joke, to say it nicely. I was lucky enough that Adella wasn't sick last time we brought her in. She tried to give us calcium drops when that was not what Adella needed at all. She uses the worst hedgehog care book I have seen, so I don't trust her advise at all.

Does anyone know what's going on? I am really worried and am freaking out.
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 02:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I understand. I'm still having odd vomiting issues with Nico. Vet and I were not able to figure it out last time, and I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back soon. However, Nico's vomit is mostly partially digested food I think as it was mostly brown mushy stuff. Not sure what the white foam you are describing could be.

Others have suggested it could be a piece of food stuck in the roof of her mouth. They apparently vomit in an attempt to remove it. Is it possible that's the cause? I wouldn't really be too terribly worried if this turns out to be an isolated incident. If you see a repeat then worry a little.

If you do see a repeat of the vomiting, then I would go ahead and schedule an appointment w/ the vet as soon as they can squeeze you in.

Oh, and if you do wind up at the vet and they figure out what it is, tell me! I'm still trying to figure out what Nico's issue is.
gracefulchaos01 likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Last night she did it again later in the night. Would this be a repeat and reason for a vet check or not? It was the same white foam, almost like she would be anointing, yet she did throw it up.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, I would go ahead and get to the vet. Not a super in a hurry emergency, but as soon as reasonably possible. How has her poop been? Has it been loose at all or green?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Her poop isn't green, but there is loose poop in the cage. Considering that Adella threw up and Phoebe is perfectly fine, I'd say it's Adella's. Her activity is mostly the same. She retires from running a few hours earlier, but when she does run she runs like normal. Also, she's eating fine as well as drinking, though she's slightly skinnier than before. I guessed that was because I stopped feeding her waxworks because she met the weight requirement I wanted. Do you think I should feed them to her again to help her gain weight. I want to take her to another vet, seeing as the first was mediocre (to say it nicest). I worry that the next one won't be better, or even the emergency vet. Sigh, hopefully out of three pocket pets vets one will have the appropriate knowledge.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I know the feeling. My vet is very nice, and is the only vet in town that treats exotics. And while she has treated hedgies before, her knowledge seems to mainly come from an outdated textbook. She photocopied a page from it about hedgehog nutrition and it actually said to feed them grapes! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the next vet you try is more up to date.
Teddi4211 likes this.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Me too. I don't know why vets check outdated books. My vet did the exact same thing. I read under it and found not a single bit of information good. It said the food requirements are hard to meet, so it was best to feed them hedgehog food. Wrong. That was the number one thing that stuck with me, and that combined with everything else wrong was enough for me to discredit that book. It also contained bits on turtles and other less common pets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in