hedgehog isnt eating - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hedgehog isnt eating

Hello,
I got a hedgehog 5 days ago. She is 11 months old and appeared to be well cared for and in good health, from what little I could tell, as in - she was clean, moving around, social, no visible issues.
She was fine the first two days. I saw her eat several times and food vanished overnight. I am unsure of water consumption because she rearranged her cage the first two nights and some of the bedding was up against the water bottle so i sure some leaked onto the bedding.
The last couple days she has not eaten at all, or if she has, it was an unnoticeable amount.
She is still happy to be handled and run around if we wake her. yesterday and last night she slept unless i woke her and she did not rearrange her cage as she has done playing each other night.
I am getting concerned.
I tried offering some wet food today and she hasnt touched it. she did come and smell it, but that is it.
help please!!
coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need to start counting out her kibbles to see how much she is actually eating.

How is the temperature? Has anything changed, lighting schedule, something new in the cage or the house? Did you change her food? What kind of food is she eating?

You will need to start syringe feeding her until she starts eating on her own. I use a prescription wet food but a regular wet food put through a sieve to make it thinner will work also. She needs to be eating 24 ml of food a day unless she starts eating on her own. She won't be able to eat all of that in one sitting. If you get 4ml in her feed her again four hours.

You can try offering different foods. I syringe feed one of my girl at the moment because she barely eats. But she does eat her bugs, some wet food and I also feed her Nature's Valley Raw Instinct which she likes as well. She just doesn't eat a lot of food at all which is why I'm syringe feeding her. See what she will eat and encourage that.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html

Here's a good sticky on syringe feeding that helped me a lot.

Good luck!
gracefulchaos01 likes this.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

its 23* C in the house. it was cooler the last couple days and warmed up again today. I put a heating pad under the cage for now until I can get a proper heating system

I asked the lady I got her from about food and she was feeding her cat and dog food, dry only, and she said she fed her all different varieties. she gave me a tiny baggie with some of the food in it and the kibble seemed huge to me, like 1cm across. I bought some high quality (holistic/grain free/high protein etc) cat food kibble that is a much smaller size and she ate that well the first few days.
The only thing I changed about her cage was adding a litter box, aside from that it is the same as when I got her.
I dont have specific lights for her cage. she is in a room with a lot of indirect natural light so I assumed that was sufficient.
I will read up on syringe feeding.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would try offering her both foods and see if she wants to eat the old food again. It was probably to soon to switch her off of it but whats done is done and it might not even be the problem. How high is the protein in her food? Too much protein can stress the kidneys.

Do you have a thermometer in her cage? The heating pad is okay in fix. Make sure it's on low and something is between her and the heating pad to avoid her getting burns.

I'm worried that she is attempting to start hibernating since the temperature drop you mentioned. Check to make sure she is warm. If she is cool, you'll need to warm her up immediately. Placing her against your skin or on a towel wrapped heating pad will help. If she has started to hibernate, a heat set up is now an emergency that you will need to have. She needs the temperature to remain warm and steady for her to recover.

Natural day light is good as long as she is getting at least 12 hours of sunlight. In the winter time you will need an alternate method of lighting.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

the protein is 35% is that too high??

in the winter is the regular overhead light insufficient?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

oh crud. i just realized i read the wrong bag. that was the bag of cat food i feed the cats. the one i have for the hedgie that is a smaller kibble is actually 40%.

I am reading this is too high.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is a little high. I'm not sure if that could be causing the problems. The best way to fix it if you can't return the bag is to mix it with one or two lower protein food 28 or 30%. I wouldn't switch her off of it yet though until she starts eating again. I would only offer her new food if she begins eating again. But I'm not sure on that to be honest. I don't know if the high protein would be causing your problems or not. I wouldn't change to much on her yet since she has had quite a change in her life already.

The overhead light is sufficient. Personally I find a lamp on a timer is easier since I don't have to worry about it.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh and if the kibbles are too big you can always break them up. I feed my hedgehogs a mix and they have some puppy food in there and I just break (cut) the kibble into four pieces.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

She ate last night! Not tons but enough that I'm not panicking! Three poops and urine output too.
Got a lamp for heat but it got too hot too fast, going to try a lower watt bulb and if that isn't stable I'll get a thermostat too.
gracefulchaos01 likes this.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It'd be best to go ahead & get a thermostat anyway. It's safer to have a thermostat making sure the cage stays the same temperature, especially if the temperature of the room might fluctuate if a cold front comes through, weather goes stormy, etc. You mentioned the temperature in the room fluctuating already, and the CHE isn't going to help with that on its own. The heat given off stays the same no matter what. So the cage temperature is still going to fluctuate as the room temp does. You need a thermostat to turn the CHE on & off as needed to keep the cage temp steady.
DesireeM81 likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in