Sudden Hedgehog death. Help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Boris2014
  • 1 Post By NewHedgieOwner100

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Sudden Hedgehog death. Help

I recently bought a hedgehog from someone on Facebook that I didn't know. It was my very first hedgehog. When I got her home she was very timid and shy but not mean or aggressive. I held her everyday, but not too much so she could adjust to the new environment. I started feeding her a different kind of cat food, because the one she was on with the previous owner was from the dollar store and was terrible for her. The kind I gave her was higher in protein and less fat, with real chicken. I noticed she would never come out of her igloo to play unless I picked her up, but again I thought she was being shy. I noticed her nose was a little wet two days ago but was fine yesterday. I only had her for less than a week! so I didn't know anything was wrong. When she walked she would fall over sometimes. and I went to buy some nail clippers to see if that was the cause. They were very long because the previous owner didn't clip them I guess. When I came home I picked her up and put her on my lap. She was letting me do anything I wanted and being very sweet but very lethargic. Then she started gasping and stopped breathing within a minute. I called the vet but it was too late. Does anyone know what could have happened? I wanted to know if she was already sick before I got her, or if I took care of her wrong... I am just so lost without her now.
PrincessPeaches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'm so sorry for your loss. Owning her for less than a week, I'm certain she was sick when you got her. Perhaps that is why the previous owner was getting rid of her. Poor little girl and poor you to have to watch her die.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

so sorry your baby passed!
rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Aw that's so awful, I'm so sorry that you went through that. It does sound like the poor little mite was ill before you bought her, and I'm guessing the previous owner knew that. They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

I would recommend always buying from a professional, caring breeder who will be able to offer you advice and support whilst you're getting use to hedgies ways. Alternatively, rescue hoglets are another option from a recognised rescue shelter.

I always feel so sorry for the little hedgehogs that you see advertised in private adverts on websites because people get them, then realise they're not like owning a rabbit and can be a bit huffy so they give them up and do not care for them properly. I always feel like I want to take all these poor hogs and care for them, but obviously we can't.

So sorry for your loss.
NewHedgieOwner100 likes this.
Boris2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. How warm was her cage? With the inactivity, lethargy and falling over, it makes me wonder if she was too cold. I've never had personal experience with hibernation though.
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am so sorry. I agree that she was likely sick before you got her. I'm glad she was with someone who loved her and cared for her before she passed. Take care of yourself.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am deeply sorry for your loss. When your ready to get a new baby, I would definitly purchase him/her from a trusted breeder. A lot of people sell sick and hurt hedgies on Facebook, Craigslist, ect.
Nancy likes this.

NewHedgieOwner100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm so sorry, how terribly sad. Perhaps she had Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome? I'm glad she got to at least spend a week with someone who loved her.
What kind of an awful person sells a sick animal? That's just horrible.

Keep calm and lower your expectations

Echo of November is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am sad for you and sad for her, that she only got to be with someone who loved her and wanted to take care of her for only a week.

Now you know why we question people who want to breed without experience. It's the hedgie and the good owners that suffer.

Maybe she had some kind of a heart or lung problem?

Hugs to you.

ML
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

OMG Im so sorry! at least you got to experience owning and loving a hedgehog! I feel you, it is sad to have a hedgie die. We'll help you go through it And next time please dont buy any animal from Facebook or Craiglist as a lot of people said because they often sell sick animals.

Last edited by hedgiefleece; 08-20-2014 at 07:08 AM.
hedgiefleece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in