Hibernation - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation

There are many posts on HHC about hibernation. It is evident that there are typically two causes- temperature, and inconsistent/insufficient lighting.

The symptoms and recommended treatment of hibernation are usually listed in conjunction with information based on temperature triggered hibernation.

My question is, if a hedgehog goes into hibernation for inconsistent/insufficient light problems, will he still have the cold belly? Will warming him up on your belly still be the best treatment? It just doesn't seem to compute... At least if temperature causes hibernation, it makes sense to correct that problem and get the desired outcome.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315
Default Re: Hibernation

I've never had a hibernation attempt from either lack of light or warmth so I might be wrong on this. I do believe when light is the factor in hibernation that their bellies are still cool to the touch and warming them up is still the solution. This is because when they go into the hibernation cycle that their bodily functions slow down, including a drop in body heat to help preserve their energy. If they remained the same temp then their systems would probably continue to run at full speed, and thus they would burn their fat storages at a faster rate.

Again not an expert, but chewing on the concept that is my own conclusion.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffers315
This is because when they go into the hibernation cycle that their bodily functions slow down, including a drop in body heat to help preserve their energy.
I thought about this, too... but still. Something just doesn't seem to add up. When you're cold, you warm them up, and keep their environment set up for a warmer animal. I guess I'm expecting some kind of light treatment recommendation to accompany this behavior?

Old 12-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Whenever a hedgehog is attempting hibernation you deal with your immediate problem (hedgehog cold and irresponsive, so you have to warm them up) and then you correct the cause of the hibernation attempt. If the cause was cold temperatures you fix the temperature in the cage, if the cause was lack of or inconsistent light schedule, you fix that. It makes sense to me... Warming the animal up helps bringing their temperature back to normal therefore stopping the hibernation attempt.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, first warm the hedgehog and second solve the problem that caused the hibernation attempt.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

If its a light cycle hibernation, warming them up would bring them out, as said they'd cool off themselves due to a "system shutdown", thus warming them back up brings their internal systems back online. Like in nature, fall comes, temps get cooler, days become shorter. Spring comes and temps get warmer, days get longer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in