Skin Issues - What Else Can I Do? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Skin Issues - What Else Can I Do?

For the last month or so, Smee has been having some skin issues. It started out getting dry and flaky, and eventually progressed to dandruff and some quill/hair loss. It has not progressed to the point where there are noticeable bald patches on him, but I still notice significant amounts of quills and light hairs on his igloo blankets (i.e. more than normal). I have been giving him oatmeal baths on a weekly basis and using flax oil in the final rinse. This seems to keep the problem at bay somewhat (he is not losing quite so many quills now), but my poor guy still isn't recovering. I will be taking him in to my vet over Thanksgiving when I am home with my family, so hopefully he will have some suggestions.

In any case, does anyone have suggestions as to what more I could do in the meantime to give him some relief? I have considered bathing him more frequently but I'm not sure whether that would be good for him. He is on fleece, but I don't use detergent with any dyes or perfumes. His diet has not changed recently, either.

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Skin Issues - What Else Can I Do?

Has he been treated for mites?

Is his skin infected?

Could he have ringworm?

I don't believe dry skin alone could cause what he is going through.

What do you feed him?

Does he have allegeries?

Breeding first and foremost for Health & Temperament
http://www.hedgehoggrove.com
Up to date News and Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/Hedgehog.Grove

http://www.hhgrescue.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/HedgehogGroveRescue
Hedgehog Grove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I noticed Smee is 6 months old... somebody can answer this: when do hedgies go through quilling? That could explain the loose quills. I noticed my hedgie scratching a lot and some flakes on her skin too but after flax seed oil weekly I've noticed a tremendous improvement! I don't know if it's applicable here but there's nothing that screams "problem!" from what you've described. Do note though, I'm no expert and there could be other possibilities (like ringworm?) that I'm not educated with. Best wishes to Smee!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

*sighs* I'm having the same problems with Paprika.. I don't know what the answer is and I feel like I've been trying everything that I can too... I guess just it'll just be a couple of months of thin fur and itching until summer starts up again? :/
Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Get a hygrometer and find out what your humidity level is! Sam was exactly the same and his was reading 19%!!!!!!!!!! Way too low. THe CHE dries them out even more. I lowered his temp to hold around 74 and put a portable humidifer in his room. It got it up to about 40% humidity in there and with the baths and oil he's doing SO MUCH BETTER!

I think humidity this time of year is your biggest culprit otherwise, it may be something more serious as mentioned.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapilionRu

Is his skin infected?

Could he have ringworm?

What do you feed him?

Does he have allegeries?
PapilionRu: Well, I treated him for mites back in mid-September and a few weeks after the skin issues started. As far as infection, I'm not sure...are there any visual indicators that he has some sort of skin infection? As far as ringworm, I'm not sure of that either. He's on a mix of about 2/3 Natural Balance Original Ultra Reduced Calorie Formula and 1/3 Purina One. I'm not aware of any allergies. But I hadn't considered any of these possibilities, so thank you! I'll be sure to bring it up with my vet tomorrow

GivetoHairy: Do you have any suggestions for a good portable humidifier? I have been thinking of investing in one but I'm not sure how they run price-wise.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapilionRu

Is his skin infected?

Could he have ringworm?

What do you feed him?

Does he have allegeries?
PapilionRu: Well, I treated him for mites back in mid-September and a few weeks after the skin issues started. As far as infection, I'm not sure...are there any visual indicators that he has some sort of skin infection? As far as ringworm, I'm not sure of that either. He's on a mix of about 2/3 Natural Balance Original Ultra Reduced Calorie Formula and 1/3 Purina One. I'm not aware of any allergies. But I hadn't considered any of these possibilities, so thank you! I'll be sure to bring it up with my vet tomorrow

GivetoHairy: Do you have any suggestions for a good portable humidifier? I have been thinking of investing in one but I'm not sure how they run price-wise.
I'm glad you're taking him to the vet tomorrow, please let as know how it goes.

We heat our super old and cold house with fire wood mostly, which makes the air extremely dry... Col. Mustard's skin was very dry (as well as my sinuses) so we put a small humidifier in the room she's in, which is our bedroom, and it really helped!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in