Strange behaviour, vague "symptoms", LOTS of info - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315
Default Re: Strange behaviour, vague "symptoms", LOTS of info

If you're thinking about a different cage, one thing that is used by many owners are plain old clear Steralite storage bins, they're cheap, easy to clean, all you need to do is add some vent holes to the side by either cutting/drilling/melting them into it. Most get two but basically you get the largest you can handle. The double bin idea is mainly you have one for their housing, food and water dishes, then the second one has their wheel inside, you connect them via 5 inch PVC pipe piece.

Its not what I used, I got a large Ferret Nation just because I liked the cages, though I think if I had to do it again, I would have gone for a C&C or Storage Bin house.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #22 (permalink)

Has your Grandma had the oxygen machine since you have had your hedgie? The reason I ask is if she had gotten after or if you just started sharing the room it may be possible the noise may play into the equation. My Grandma has one and when I visited I remember it made a hissing like noise when the oxygen comes out. This may be nothing but it was something that came to mind when I was thinking over all the factors that this may or may not be affecting it.
Hope you find out and the best of luck to you and your little one
Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffers315
If you're thinking about a different cage, one thing that is used by many owners are plain old clear Steralite storage bins, they're cheap, easy to clean, all you need to do is add some vent holes to the side by either cutting/drilling/melting them into it. Most get two but basically you get the largest you can handle. The double bin idea is mainly you have one for their housing, food and water dishes, then the second one has their wheel inside, you connect them via 5 inch PVC pipe piece.

Its not what I used, I got a large Ferret Nation just because I liked the cages, though I think if I had to do it again, I would have gone for a C&C or Storage Bin house.
Thank you for the tips; I was eyeing new cages at the pet store today. I might consider purchasing one with a plastic bottom but otherwise similar to the one she currently has, but we'll see how the other solutions work first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgieonboard
Has your Grandma had the oxygen machine since you have had your hedgie? The reason I ask is if she had gotten after or if you just started sharing the room it may be possible the noise may play into the equation. My Grandma has one and when I visited I remember it made a hissing like noise when the oxygen comes out. This may be nothing but it was something that came to mind when I was thinking over all the factors that this may or may not be affecting it.
Hope you find out and the best of luck to you and your little one
Thank you! But yes she has had the oxygen since day 1. So Bellie is pretty used to it lol

UPDATE!! I covered her cage this evening by putting the towel on the front of the cage and down the sides instead of leaving it along the back and only covering half of the sides. I woke her up around 11pm before I covered her, and it is now 1am and I am happy to report that she has been running on her wheel/eating since then (I keep peeking at her and also can hear when she's crunching on her kibble). I also ordered a snuggle bag to hopefully help control her body temperature. Hopefully all this trouble was just a developed sensitivity to light and a big BIG thank you to everyone who has commented on this post and helped me out It seems I just got one of the most fussy, finicky hedgehogs out there!
dragonfly3007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in