1st time hedgie owner pls help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1st time hedgie owner pls help!

Hello we got Turkish about 2 weeks ago and for the past few days he has been sneezing pretty regularly. Friends of ours just purchased their second hedge hog and say that their older on sneezed all the time when he was a baby and the new little guy is starting as well. I would take that however now he is sneezing in what I think is way too often. He still does his little bucking action/noise when we awake him but now it's paired with what sounds like a sneeze or blowing out of his nose with a jerking motion each time he does it. Now tonight when I got home his little nose was covered by mucus in spots which I cleaned off with a towel. I am so worried but am being told different things .... search engines online don't seem to help as I can't exactly explain his distressing noise. Does this typically happen with baby's or should I be worried like I am and bring him to a vet tomorrow? Oh when he is sleeping he is fine. He is still eating and drinking ... not much but no less than he was when he first came home.

Thank you for your help and advice in advance
nmjackson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 1st time hedgie owner pls help!

The bucking/ jerking you mention could be "Popping". Hedgies do this when they are startled or don't want to be bothered... It's VERY common, my hedgie does it all the time. Does the sound he makes kind of sound like a mini car starting up when he does it? *hhhmmmuuuffffmmmff* Cause lots of hedgies make sounds like that and it is commonly paired with their pop. I thought he was sneezing too and it scared the day lights out of me when he first did it, now I am used to it and actually find it funny and tease him/immitate him when he does it...

If THIS is what he is doing, you have no need to worry. He is just feisty!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE8IW...eature=related

As for the mucus, I might make a vet appointment just to make sure your little guy isn't sick.

Moose <3 Hiccup
My two albino babies
spastic_jedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

As spastic_jedi said hedgehogs do make huffing noises accompanied with a jumping or jerk of the body. This is completely normal behavior. However, the mucus on the nose really concerns me. Just as a safety precaution I would take him to a vet ASAP. He could have a URI and you do not want that turning into pneumonia. For right now until you can get him into a vet, make sure you keep him nice and warm and pay attention to his eating and drinking habits.

Illness travels fast through these little guys so it is better to be safe than sorry.
*Member of HWS and IHA*

http://fourlittlefeetboutique.weebly.com/
^^Snuggle Sacks, Cage liners, blankets, Cuddle Cups and more!
Littlefootsmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 02:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Huffing, popping and snuffling is normal.

Discharge from the nose is not.

Get you hedgie checked if there is mucous, drainage, crusty eyes, just to make sure it is not ill.
keschete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If his sneezing has increased in frequency and he has snot around his nose, he needs to see a vet asap. Hedgie respiratory infections do not go away on their own and can turn to pneumonia very quickly. He needs to get on antibiotics soon.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in