Behavioral Change-Not Wheeling or eating as much - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Behavioral Change-Not Wheeling or eating as much

I wasn't quite sure where to put this...

But Alice my 6 Month(give or take a bit) Hedgehog has been acting different lately.. And it's got me a little worried. About a month ago she Attempted Hibernation but pulled out of it perfectly fine and went right back to herself that day.
But lately she's been acting different, Her heat stays between 74 and 78 degrees.. And her light is on a timer so she gets enough light. But lately She hasn't been eating like she normally does.. She's always ate a ton.. a bit more then i thought she should.. She still eats alot, but way less then she use to. She's also not wheeling as much.. Which worries me. Ill find a bit of pee and Poo on it in the morning, but not like there use to be. At first i thought maybe it was just her new wheel she was getting use to... but i don't think it's that. Her diet is good.. She seems healthy like normal.

When i checked on her tonight i went into the room and it was dark.. So i just opened her house and scooped her up which she seemed very awake.. but i noticed her Belly was cool which made me really worry. I set her down into her cage and she ate some Kibble, then investigated her Tunnel/hideout. I got her out with the lights on, put her on the floor and she acted just like normal, actually pretty hyper.. Wanting to run around and explore instead of being held. She isn't more huffier then normal, Actually she's more friendlier then normal. Could it just be that maybe the reason her belly was cooler was because she had been awake and exploring?

I did switch her into a new cage about 3? weeks ago.. which is when she started acting different. Is there any chance maybe she just misses her old cage or doesn't like the new one? She always seems so much more Happier and acted like she felt more safe in her other one.. She's in a C&C cage now, but her old one was one of those Hutches type rabbit cages that i made into a hedgie safe home.. Should i maybe switch her back into her old one and see if that makes a difference?

Sorry for the listing of facts kind of thing Im just trying to figure out why she's acting different.. Thanks!
Hollierae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Behavioral Change-Not Wheeling or eating as much

I think the new cage is fine,she's had alot of time to get use to it. What are you using to heat the new cage? Do you have a thermometer in/around her cage? Have you checked her toenails? Long nails will sometimes prevent running.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If her belly was cool, she is not warm enough and that is why she is not eating as much and not as active. A temperature fluctuation of 74 - 78 might be too much for her. 78 is most likely fine but 74 is not.

What are you using to heat the cage? C&C cages are very open and can be difficult to heat. What about a draft? Where is the cage located (near a window, near a heat duct, near the floor)

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with Nancy. Check for a draft with the new cage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in