Continually Constipated - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Continually Constipated

Winston has been having some poop problems. He'll get constipated, have terrible difficulty pooping, producing hard, skinny stools, and his bum will look very sore. I give him some squash (he'll only take it through a syringe), and it helps, but within a few days of my no longer giving it to him, the constipation has returned. His running, eating, drinking and peeing are all normal. I'm thinking that it might be time to see a vet, but I wanted some opinions first. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it time to take him to the vet?
nessariel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Continually Constipated

There are three main causes of constipation.

1. Improper diet
2. inadequate hydration
3. intestinal blockage

Is there enough fiber in his diet? Is his diet made of high quality kibbles supplemented by fresh foods? Make sure his diet is correct. Add fiber in the guise of Grape Nuts or All Bran. Pumpkin is a great way to add fiber.

Does he use a bottle or a bowl? Is he drinking enough? If he's using a bottle, switch to a bowl. If he uses a bowl, add a second bowl filled with herbal mint tea sweetened with honey to encourage drinking.

If those two do not remedy the situation, then it's time for a vet visit to ensure that he does not have a blockage.
HedgeMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

He eats Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck, Solid Gold Katz n Flocken and Royal Canin Indoor Mature 27, so I don't think it's a bad diet. The only fresh foods he'll eat are mealworms and chicken. I have baby rice cereal sprinkled on his food, so I don't think fiber is an issue.

As for water intake, he seems to drink a fair amount. He doesn't have any issues with peeing (he pees lots, and it's never dark), and he drinks from a bowl with a little resevoir on top that refills the bowl as he drinks, so there's always LOTS of water available. I'll try a bowl with honey water.

As for a blockage, would it be eased by pumpkin/squash? Because he gets better when he has that.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

You can sprinkle some Grape nuts cereal or any high fiber cereal onto his kibble and see if it helps.

A few drops of Flax Seed oil on his food every other day will help not only with making it easier to poop but help keep his skin less dry.

If it improves with the pumpkin, it really sounds like he needs more fiber. Perhaps he needs to have some pumpkin every second day. Some hedgehogs are more prone to constipation than others, kind of like humans.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got some grapenuts. Even just the one syringing of squash from last night helped a bit, so I'm thinking it's fiber. How much cereal should I put with his food?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Does he actually EAT the Grape Nuts? I found that my boy never ate his, so I ended up crushing the Grape Nuts into powder and generously coat his kibble to ensure that he ate it.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

He ate the first three I gave him! With gusto. :P It might be a fluke though. Sometimes he'll eat something at first then turn his nose up at it 2 minutes later.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ya, my boy originally ate his too, but eventually stopped eating them at all. At least with the crushing, it makes sure he eats it, whether he choses to or not

So it might be something to try, so that you know 100% that his fibre intake is good. You can either crush by hand, or get a small coffee grinder and make it into a fine powder, then coat all of his kibbles in it. Dump a bit in, shake it all around like a shake n bake
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in