Can URI be passed on through interspecies contact? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can URI be passed on through interspecies contact?

I just discovered today that one of my cats has URI.
My vet thinks that LeRoux (our newest cat) might've carried the virus and infected my other cat, Chacha...

I'm worried that Kashi might get URI from Chacha. Is it possible for URI to be contracted through interspecies contact?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Can URI be passed on through interspecies contact?

I'm honestly not sure- I'd lean towards no, I don't think it's the same in cats and hedgehogs- but I just want to say how sorry I am. I was going to adopt a cat from the SPCA this year that I ended up not being able to because he had it. The SPCA swore up and down that my other cat wouldn't catch it, which I thought was awfully sneaky of them when my vet said there was a 100% chance she would get it. So I had to leave him there, which was awful. It's not a nice thing, I hope both your kitties will be okay. And Kashi, of course. And you!
"You must write every single day of your life…You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads….may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world." Ray Bradbury
jinglesharks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglesharks
I'm honestly not sure- I'd lean towards no, I don't think it's the same in cats and hedgehogs- but I just want to say how sorry I am. I was going to adopt a cat from the SPCA this year that I ended up not being able to because he had it. The SPCA swore up and down that my other cat wouldn't catch it, which I thought was awfully sneaky of them when my vet said there was a 100% chance she would get it. So I had to leave him there, which was awful. It's not a nice thing, I hope both your kitties will be okay. And Kashi, of course. And you!
Yeah, we didn't think anything was wrong. Luckily for cats they can fight it off on their own and do not need antibiotics. Chacha just stopped eating and was having runny poo, so we took him to the vet today since LeRoux was getting neutered today anyway... The vet didn't know LeRoux had URI in the previous examination because he was purring all the way through the exam!
He'll be fine though Just needs some meds for his fever and special wet food to regain his lost weight
Just shows what happens when you rescue a cat from a pet store, though... LeRoux was sneezing a lot when we first met him, but we didn't think anything of it... It makes a lot of sense now though.
Whatever, it was very cheap to treat Chacha and LeRoux no longer has the symptoms (he's a fighter, he is walking around like nothing has happened to him despite the anesthesia and his painful private area ) so I'm just glad they're both ok, or will be ok at any rate ^-^

Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

I'm about 90% sure your hedgehog won't catch the feline version of an URI, what hedgehogs get I think is something different virus wise versus cats, which a URI in a cat is more or less a common cold, and veeeery common in shelters. Sadly for many shelters it can be deadly because say, you got multiple cages with multiple batches of kittens, who are the most prone to death by URI. One kitten gets it, then his/her own litter, than the next cage, then the next. And sadly many shelters don't have isolation cages due to lack of funds and whatnot, and sadly many of these kittens end up going to the rainbow bridge.

Then comes in my story, I have 8 cats in my house, and most are from when my mom worked at the shelter, and all were URIs. The original plan was to nurse them past the URI and then put them back in the shelter for adoption, but the second part just never happened. Certain cats are carriers of the virus, they always have a 'touch' of it in their system. I have one of them by the name of Seven (cause, he was the Seventh one and a Seinfeld reference, big old fat short haired black cat who when picked up goes limp like a baby and you sling him on my shoulder and he reaches out and hugs me while I pet him). He always has a runny left eye.

And then I have Lucy, who's owner surrounded her at the shelter because "she was having a baby" and what really sucks is the fact she was 14 years old. She is also I think a carrier, as with the URI kittens, she never got sick while say another cat Kenny (non-shelter alley cat) got sick. She sneezes all the time, but never goes any further.

But concidering I have at least two URI carrying felines, Lucy who is ALWAYS in my room with me (she's my personal cat) with the hedgehogs, and of course the others, I've never had any URI in my hogs yet, so I'd say you are pretty safe.

At worse in the end your cat might need a little clavomox if it gets any worse, but that's really easy to give to them. But all in all, you should be safe.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffers315
I'm about 90% sure your hedgehog won't catch the feline version of an URI, what hedgehogs get I think is something different virus wise versus cats, which a URI in a cat is more or less a common cold, and veeeery common in shelters. Sadly for many shelters it can be deadly because say, you got multiple cages with multiple batches of kittens, who are the most prone to death by URI. One kitten gets it, then his/her own litter, than the next cage, then the next. And sadly many shelters don't have isolation cages due to lack of funds and whatnot, and sadly many of these kittens end up going to the rainbow bridge.

Then comes in my story, I have 8 cats in my house, and most are from when my mom worked at the shelter, and all were URIs. The original plan was to nurse them past the URI and then put them back in the shelter for adoption, but the second part just never happened. Certain cats are carriers of the virus, they always have a 'touch' of it in their system. I have one of them by the name of Seven (cause, he was the Seventh one and a Seinfeld reference, big old fat short haired black cat who when picked up goes limp like a baby and you sling him on my shoulder and he reaches out and hugs me while I pet him). He always has a runny left eye.

And then I have Lucy, who's owner surrounded her at the shelter because "she was having a baby" and what really sucks is the fact she was 14 years old. She is also I think a carrier, as with the URI kittens, she never got sick while say another cat Kenny (non-shelter alley cat) got sick. She sneezes all the time, but never goes any further.

But concidering I have at least two URI carrying felines, Lucy who is ALWAYS in my room with me (she's my personal cat) with the hedgehogs, and of course the others, I've never had any URI in my hogs yet, so I'd say you are pretty safe.

At worse in the end your cat might need a little clavomox if it gets any worse, but that's really easy to give to them. But all in all, you should be safe.
Thank you for the extensive answer, Puffers315

I used to work at a cat shelter too, but fortunately, we had an isolation room for all the sick cats... But it actually wasn't quite ideal because cats with all types of sicknesses were kept in cages, side by side :/

LeRoux, I believe, is a carrier of the virus, because Chacha was actually not sick when LeRoux was being all sneezy. Chacha actually only got sick once we moved.

I think he will be fine, both our kitty cats are fighters

I just wanted to make sure it couldn't pass onto Kashi. I'm always so paranoid that he has mites or URI!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

Same here, I'm always checking their noses and Hester has dry skin, so everytime she scratches I'm always thinking mites, but she's been checked and treated, just a dry girl. But no probs, I'm actually working on a cat sanctuary for unwanted and 'in need' felines. Our shelter does good but got a bad rap awhile ago, a rich old lady left them a million dollars but left it in her will they couldn't spend it, only collect the interest on it, and that to get this money they had to build a vet clinic, but still, couldn't use the money for it. So she left them with a million dollars they can't touch and a morgage on a building that eats up all the interest and then some. But the media left that out, and people just think the place has money, so they haven't had the funds to build an isolation room yet, working on it though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in