REPEATED hibernation attempts - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default REPEATED hibernation attempts

Okay, I definitely should have asked about this earlier, and I feel stupid for not doing so. I figure I'd better ask now, because Quillamina gave me a scare this afternoon.

Quillamina is often cold when I first get her up. Today her belly was practically frozen, and she was unresponsive for the first minute or so. I stuck her right in my shirt and kept her on my skin until she warmed up. She is now fine and sleeping in my lap, but I don't want to repeat this. I can't use a space heater in my room for two reasons, the first of which being that it is PATHETICALLY tiny and there is no room. (None of the other rooms in the house are big enough to move the hogs to, either, so that won't work.) The second reason is that we've been having 30+ degree weather (That's celsius, for those who use farenheit) and yesterday, it was, in fact, 43 outside with the humidex. I will be buying a space heater for winter (when I can afford it, I'm still broke) but there is no way I can possibly use one right now.

I really need help, guys, I can't let this keep happening to my Quillypig. I don't know if she's actually been trying to hibernate, but she's been really cold, so I imagine she has. I cover the hedgehog houses partway with blankets overnight, just enough to cover the places they tend to sleep, but not so much that the cages can't ventilate. Should I get a heating pad to put underneath the cage, or would that cause damage to the plastic? I really don't know what I should be doing for my poor girl, and for Loki as a pre-emptive strike. I don't want this happening to my boy, too.
There's never enough.
All we wanna do is have a good time,
Having lots of fun with all these friends of mine.
All we wanna do is celebrate.
Every time we've been together, it's been great.
Looking for adventure, big and small.
Just being with our friends like you is all we wanna do.
Sela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: REPEATED hibernation attempts

Do you have air conditioning? If so, it is probably either too cool for her, or is blowing on her.

If you don't have a/c, she should not be attempting hibernation with the temps we've been having lately. What about lighting? The days are definitely getting shorter so if you aren't turning on a light in the evening, she may not be getting enough.

Other than what I've already mentioned, possibly she is sick.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

We do have AC, but she's away from the vent and the vent is covered most of the time. She has light all day, I turn it on when I wake up and turn it off around one AM when I go to bed. She gets at least twelve hours of light every day.

I don't see how it could be because she's sick, because this isn't a new development, she's done it for a long time. She goes in my shirt every time it happens and warms up in there, and then she's fine. She's still eating and drinking well, still gobbles her mealies, and she's still wheeling like crazy. What sort of symptoms of illness should I be looking for, aside from her being cold?
There's never enough.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

What is the temperature inside the cage?

It could be that she is just one of those hedgies who need the higher end of the spectrum for temperatures. There are some hedgies who hibernate at 22, yet most are fine at 22. It could just be she needs her cage temperature to be up to 25, 26, while Loki is fine with the lower temperatures.

It's a temporary fix until you get the space heater, but could you get a normal human heating pad for her cage? So that at least she won't hibernate while she's sleeping. Or if you have a snuggledisc, to heat it up and leave it with her every morning.

In the winter, you may have to keep an eye on Loki. Because if you bring the temperature up to Quillamina's preferable temperature, it may end up being too hot for him, thus causing HIM displeasure and possibly decreased activity.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow that is a frustrating and scary problem. I can' imagine how she could be cold with such warm temperatures lately. Unless it's the AC making the room too cold. I know my apartment gets freezing when the people upstairs turn on the AC. (I now live in a basement apartment with heating and cooling systems controlled by upstairs neighbours). We have all of the vents completely covered over and it still gets cold close to the vents.

Maybe try adding some extra heat to the cage, snuggle safe disc, human heating pad, I made a little hot water bottle for Quigley. I used one of those thick plastic juice bottles (specifically a minute made one) and just wrapped it in fleece (a big piece that went around twice), tied the top and bottom off with fleece strips, and now I just boil water, untie the top, pour it in the bottle close it up, and it's good to put in the cage. It stays hot for a long time and I put it under the fleece next to where he is sleeping.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Immortalia: I'm not sure what the temperature is, I don't know what kind of thermometer to use. What would you suggest? I can definitely get a heating pad, but a snugglesafe disc...I don't know, are they even available in Canada? I haven't seen anything like that in any of the pet supply stores here.

I will definitely keep an eye on Loki, I have to be sure this doesn't happen to him. My mother suggested that maybe before it was due to the cancer, since we don't know how long it had been dormant, and now it could be because of a hormonal imbalance or something after her spaying, I don't know.

Hedgielover: Yeah, it's pretty upsetting, I guess she just naturally has a low body temperature. I definitely have to do something about it. I don't really understand about the water bottle, could you simplify your explanation a little? xD I feel sort of dumb asking, but a homemade hedgie water bottle sounds like a good idea, I might like to try it.
There's never enough.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Any digital thermometer you find in the reptile section is good to use. Mine's just a small black one, with a probe at the end of a long wire. This allows for you to place the probe anywhere in the cage. Mine reads both C and F. This is the one I have:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752177

Snugglesafe discs can be bought in PetSmarts, or online. They are much cheaper online, but more difficult to return if the disc malfunctions. PetSmarts only sell them in the fall, when it's getting cold. It's something you will have to stalk, as I had to stalk the petsmarts around me for a few weeks before they finally had them in stock. If you find one, make sure you test it right away, and microwave it for 5 min, and make sure the heat lasts for at least 8 hours. The box says 12, but 8 seems to be the average.

Once you get a thermometer, you can better judge what temperatures she is more comfortable in, and know what temperatures she is hibernating at. Who knows, perhaps once you get it, it may turn out that your a/c is colder than you thought. Don't forget, a/c air feels colder than what it reads. So even if you have the temp set for 23, it may actually feel more like 21.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'll look for those tomorrow, have to go out anyway to do some work on our machines. I'll have to write down the information for the thermometer, and I'll look for the disc too, just in case they have them in early. I doubt it, but it's worth looking. I'll make do with the heating pad until then, if they don't have one. I'll also be sure to test it, thanks for telling me about that. o-o Wasn't aware that I had to.

Yeah, A/C can be hard to gauge. I'll definitely get that thermometer into her little house as soon as possible, hopefully I'll have one by tomorrow evening. Thanks so much for your help, everyone, and if you have any other suggestions, I'm open to anything.
There's never enough.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If you have air conditioning and no thermometer in her cage, it's a safe bet that the a/c that is too cold for her. Air conditioning always feels colder than it is. My hedgie room a/c never goes below 25c (77F) because otherwise, someone will be trying to hibernate.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sadly, we can't adjust the AC in each room individually. ...Actually, I don't know if anyone can do that, never heard of a thermostat that allows such a thing. She was nice and toasty today when I got her up, this is (thankfully) not an every day thing, but I want it to not happen, period. I'll be looking into getting a snugglesafe disc today, and a thermometer for each hog's house. I'll also try to close my vent. It's one of those stupid metal grates that sticks, though, so it may turn out to be impossible to do that. If that doesn't work, I'll ask my parents if we can replace the grate with something else so I can actually keep the stupid thing closed.

Thanks for all your help, everyone, I'll let you know how your suggestions work out.
There's never enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in