What do I do to keep my Hedgie cool when I leave home? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do I do to keep my Hedgie cool when I leave home?

When I go to school I turn the AC off to save energy but the problem is Spike doesn't get enough light and coolness everyday. He isn't showing signs of hibernation and he's slowly adjusting to his new home but yeah. In my country temperature goes up to about 33-38 degrees celsius when the AC is turned off. He's been fine for the first two days with an 8-hour airconditioning break but I'm worried he might have some kind of heatstroke.

darkestz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: What do I do to keep my Hedgie cool when I leave home?

That is like from 92-100 degrees fahrenheit and that's way to HOT!!
Hedgies do best at a steady 75 degrees fahrenheit,I think thats like 23-24 celsius.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

And the constant fluctuation in temperature will most likely cause illness as well. Going from too hot, to cold a/c is just asking for trouble. Can you leave the a/c set at 80F(27C)? This way, you're not using too much a/c, and the temperature can stay constant. Even a/c 30C will still be fine, as a/c air actually feels cooler than what the thermometer reads. Then all you'd need is a small marble-type smooth tile, to allow splatting, and all should be fine.

BUT, this also means that you shouldn't have the a/c too high(low?) either. What temperature do you normally set your a/c at? Just because, as I said before, a/c air feels cooler than it is. So 23C would feel more like 20-21C, which CAN be too cold for some hedgies. In the summer when I'm at my apartment, I set my a/c a few degrees warmer. Example, if his cage reads 23C in the winter, it will read 25C in the summer, with the a/c running.

Also, why doesn't he get enough light? All it takes is a regular desk lamp, set on a 12-14 hours timer, and that will ensure he gets his 12-14 hours of light.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was just about to suggest what Immortalia did.
We were debating this because we're going away for a week at the end of this month and didn't want to waste too much electric. Instead of turning off the a/c completely, we decided we will set it at the max temp that we feel comfortable having for the hedgies~ so prob low 80's. That way, we know that it won't ever get above that temp in case we get another heat wave. We're not too worried about the low temps because it's ridiculously hot here and the hedgies haven't needed their heat lamps all summer. Keep in mind that you read a lot of the importance of heat for hedgehogs, but too much heat could cause problems.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd leave the A/C on or get a small unit just for the room he's in... 33C/100F is... well, I think I'd die. Can't imagine that would be okay for a hedgie.

In the meanwhile, a few ideas:
Water - make sure he has plenty of water. Make sure that he's in the lowest part of the room - heat rises, so putting the cage on the floor will knock a few degrees off. Put out tile for him to splat on. You can get some of those things you put in the freezer overnight (blue ice freezer packs), wrap them in a towel, and stick them in his cage in a way that will keep things cool, but without him being able to freeze himself on them.

But, really, 100F? I'd leave the A/C on.

Do you have a friend/family member who is willing to leave their A/C on with whom he could stay during the day?
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in