HELP! quill loss! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP! quill loss!

Okay, this one's tricky. Maiche has been doing fine, the chipped toothe doesn't seem to get in the way of her eating enormous quantities of food, and is generally happy to be with me. Thing is, I find like 3 or 4 loose quills in the floor daily, them being easily broken. I asked to the vet some time ago if it was something wrong with her, and she told me Maiche was fine. Strange thing is, she doesn't seem upset about it, and she's as friendly as ever. I thought it wasn't quilling because of that..
Any similar experiences?
Runefaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: HELP! quill loss!

If she's of quilling age, then she's probably just quilling, if she's not, then I'd do a mite check. She may also have dry skin.

One of my guys wasn't very crabby when he was quilling. Granted, he was never as friends as Maiche is, but he didn't seem to mind us touching him or his crawling around (and pooping on) everything.
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebian
If she's of quilling age, then she's probably just quilling, if she's not, then I'd do a mite check. She may also have dry skin.

One of my guys wasn't very crabby when he was quilling. Granted, he was never as friends as Maiche is, but he didn't seem to mind us touching him or his crawling around (and pooping on) everything.
I asked the vet if it was mites or something like that. While she didn't seem to do an extensive search on her, she said Maiche was fine. Maiche is now 3 months old, and pardon my ignorance, but I really don't know the quill loss rate when quilling.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runefaust
Maiche is now 3 months old, and pardon my ignorance, but I really don't know the quill loss rate when quilling.
It varies between hedgies. Some of them only lose a 2 or 3 a day (sometimes even less!) and some of them lose 10-15 or more. At three months, I would suspect that she is quilling, especially if she's not scratching herself.

This page has some more information on quilling: https://hedgehogcentral.com/quilling.shtml.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runefaust
Maiche is now 3 months old, and pardon my ignorance, but I really don't know the quill loss rate when quilling.
It varies between hedgies. Some of them only lose a 2 or 3 a day (sometimes even less!) and some of them lose 10-15 or more. At three months, I would suspect that she is quilling, especially if she's not scratching herself.

This page has some more information on quilling: https://hedgehogcentral.com/quilling.shtml.
Wells she does scratch, but more or less at the frequency I scratch, lol
Old 11-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hehe

You can do a mite test on her. (Gently!) Rub/pet her with a black t-shirt (or let her walk around/cuddle with it for a while on your lap) and then look if there's any flakes. If they're moving they she has mites. If they're not, then she has dry skin (if it's just a couple of flakes, I wouldn't worry about it).

Another to check for mites is to look at one of the quills. If there's a bulb on the end of it, then she's just quilling. If there's no bulb, then it's probably mites.

https://hedgehogcentral.com/mites.shtml

Again, it sounds to me as if it's just her quilling and she's handling it very well-- but it's never a bad idea to safe than sorry =)
Old 11-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Hehe

You can do a mite test on her. (Gently!) Rub/pet her with a black t-shirt (or let her walk around/cuddle with it for a while on your lap) and then look if there's any flakes. If they're moving they she has mites. If they're not, then she has dry skin (if it's just a couple of flakes, I wouldn't worry about it).

Another to check for mites is to look at one of the quills. If there's a bulb on the end of it, then she's just quilling. If there's no bulb, then it's probably mites.

https://hedgehogcentral.com/mites.shtml

Again, it sounds to me as if it's just her quilling and she's handling it very well-- but it's never a bad idea to safe than sorry =)
Woah, great tips. that helped me recognize it beyond beliefs. Yeah, she's definitely quilling and has somewhat of a dry skin. Thanks again
Old 11-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

No problem! I'm glad it helped =)

If you want to combat the dry skin, add a drop of flaxseed oil in her food once or twice a week and/or put some olive oil in her baths (although, one of my guys will drink the bath water if I put olive oil in it )
Old 11-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I tried once with the olive oil on water, but Maiche didn't like it much. And maybe it was due to her ending up all yellow. I may have overdone the dose a bit....
Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

hehe

She probably felt very greasy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in