Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Clear mucousy discharge around butt? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5794)

karidaluv 07-30-2010 06:50 PM

Clear mucousy discharge around butt?

Hey guys -
From my other posts, as you know, Herby isn't doing too well today. He went from nice last night to seriously aggressive and totally unable to be held because he's biting (not hard, but a lot). He's been really upset today and will curl into a ball when I try to make him sit up on my hand like he usually does. When I tried to hold him against me today to calm him down, I felt this sticky thing underneath him. Some got on my stomach and it was clear and mucous like if you sneeze. Also I checked and it felt like it was coming from his butt, but I'm not sure if it really was or not. It scared the crap out of me.

On top of him having a mite problem but already being treated a week ago, he's losing a ton more quills just today, as in 30-35 and he's starting to have a few bald patches. I called the vet but he hasn't returned my call to see if he should be brought in. I just wanna know if anyone had the same issue with their male hedgehog with this clear discharge that looks like it's coming from their anus. It could've been his penis but I found it on his anus when I turned him over to check where it came from.

Thanks!

LarryT 07-30-2010 07:04 PM

Re: Clear mucousy discharge around butt?

Sounds like your boy just got through with his BOY TIME :o :lol:

karidaluv 07-30-2010 07:05 PM

ohhhh...thank god. i was wondering what that was. but his super aggressiveness is scaring me.

LarryT 07-30-2010 07:07 PM

You may have interupted him before he got finished :oops: :lol:

Hedgieonboard 07-31-2010 03:10 AM

You'll want to check into the quill loss but I agree with Larry and it does sound like boy time for the other issue :) It seems to help if you put a few little hedgie blankets in his hide out because I notice the hedgie will stay cleaner and instead the blankets will get the worst of it. It is kinda gross but you get used to it after awhile and start figuring out when they are up to those shenanigans lol Do you have fleece liners? Not to be gross or anything but I notice sometimes my guy will be so gentlemanly and drag himself on the liner, funny and disturbing to watch but I honestly don't get to many surprises so I think his technique is working for him. Fleece and flannel have to be the greatest bedding of all time imo :)

karidaluv 07-31-2010 02:07 PM

hahaa i'm gonna make him one or buy him a fleece pouch. thanks guys!

karidaluv 08-02-2010 01:22 AM

hey guys i finally saw what the discharge is. Anyone seen this before:

My hedgehog was making strange sounds from his tummy area, like growling when hungry. I tried to feed him and he ate okay, but while he was resting against the back of my neck he made this farting sound. When I picked him up there were clear bubbles coming out of his butt, and when I wiped it was the same clear sticky stuff I saw last time, directly out of his anus.

Is it the cat food diet I have him on? I'm using Purina One Pro Plan for kittens with 32% protein and 15% fat.

LarryT 08-02-2010 02:40 PM

He needs to see a vet.

Beanie 08-02-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryT
He needs to see a vet.

Seconded.

Is he pooping normal?

karidaluv 08-02-2010 03:51 PM

Thanks guys. He's seeing the vet today at 2pm.

He is pooping normally but on and off. His poop was really green last night after being aggressive with us when we first picked him up, and then his poop was normal this morning. It's weird.