Hedgehog Hurt Paw!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog Hurt Paw!!

I came home from work and saw my hedgehog sleeping in his wheel. I picked him up and sat him on my lap and noticed his right paw was bent downwards. He tried walking and was walking on the top of it while it was bent downwards. I checked it and its a little red and has a bump. At first I was worried that he broke it but he grabbed my finger with it soo it can't be that. At least I don't think. I think it's either dislocated or just hurt. I don't have the money for a vet. What should I do? And is it broken even though he can grip things?
Ghost216 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgehog Hurt Paw!!

also im taking out his wheel for tonight so he doesnt try running and break it
Old 07-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Umm... well I don't know anything about putting his foot back into place... but just curious, why didn't you think of having money saved up in case of emergencies such as this?

I don't remember from where but it was mentioned somewhere on this forum that before adopting a hedgehog you should always make sure to have extra cash stashed away for emergencies such as this :/

Anyway, me rambling about this will not help with the situation...

Are you sure it isn't broken? I mean, if he's walking on top of it it seems like he can't get it back into place... What do you mean he can "grip" things though?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos
Umm... well I don't know anything about putting his foot back into place... but just curious, why didn't you think of having money saved up in case of emergencies such as this?

I don't remember from where but it was mentioned somewhere on this forum that before adopting a hedgehog you should always make sure to have extra cash stashed away for emergencies such as this :/

Are you sure it isn't broken? I mean, if he's walking on top of it it seems like he can't get it back into place... What do you mean he can "grip" things though?
yeah i had money stashed away but i had to use it to get my car working again because the cam gear ripped off and cracked the head so i had to buy a replacement. Even if I did have money right now, all the vets are closed right now. Im looking for something temporary until the morning when i can call the vet. and what else can i mean by gripping? its like when you pick your hedgehog up and he tries climbing out your hand, he kinda wraps his fingers and claws around ever he can get a grip of to pull himself out. or when hes ssitting inside his food bowl and you go to fill it up and he holds on to it. basically he has no problem moving his fingers or pushing with his right arm. if it were broken, it would bend back when he pushes with it but he seems to be able to push fine with it which im trying to keep him from doing. im thinking of taping or tying something to his hand to keep it straight until the morning.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos

what im thinking is it happened in the wheel. he usually just spreads out and falls asleep in his wheel after a good run. he has a solid wheel that has ridges for grips. maybe, HOPEFULLY he may have just tripped and sprained it since he can function his fingers and it just needs time, sleep and love to heal. at this moment, thats the best scenario but i will still call a vet in the morning if it doesnt look any better.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

ok so he was masturbating until he heard me eating dried bananas. he stuck his nose out from under the blankets like he usually does when he sees me coming or hears food (hes learned the sound of food crunching and wrappers opening and most of all, food dropping into his bowl. i offered him some and he had no problem using his right paw to slap it out of my hand (although he doesnt actually pick it up obviously, he uses his fingers and claws like a hook to yank it), grab it and make a dash for it. his normal self. so far it looks to be just a sprain or injury to soft tissue. also to let everyone reading this know, he just dropped anchor in his litter box and fell asleep next to it. must have worn the little guy out. even disabled, hes still a little champion.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Sounds like you have a comfort wheel from your description. Sometimes the ridges inside the wheel will hurt a hedgies little feet,just a thought.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah I think he just maybe sprained it or something, because he should not be able to carry his weight on it if it were broken. I have a comfort wheel, and sometimes it hurts my hedgie's paws too (the ridges are a little hard on them so the skin at the bottom sometimes peels off), so maybe he tripped on one of the ridges. It is quite likely that he hurt himself while he was running.

Hopefully he is fine ^-^
Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT
Sounds like you have a comfort wheel from your description. Sometimes the ridges inside the wheel will hurt a hedgies little feet,just a thought.
no i started off with the comfort wheel. it rubbed his back and i had to modify it to get it to actually spin easier. he was having hard time running because it was so tight. also it wobbled so bad. so then i tried the flying saucer. he couldnt stay on it. finally i got him the silent spinner. quiet, smooth spinning with no wobbles, easy to clean,easy for him to run, nothing rubbing on his back, and very silent. best wheel in my opinion. i dont want to get him a flat surfaced wheel because it would be slippery and harder to use without anything to grip on.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Silent Spinners are dangerous! The split down the center and the drainage slits can catch little toenails and toes and is most likely how he got hurt.

The nuts on both back and front often come undone causing the wheel to fall.

The wheel itself extends out past the frame and can cause the wheel to tip over when the hedgehog enters or exits.

Unless he is a very large hedgehog his back shouldn't rub on the center shaft of the Comfort wheel unless it is not the largest sized comfort wheel, 12".

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in