HELP! chipped tooth - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP! chipped tooth

Hi. New owner here. I got a lovely female hedgehog for my birthday, and I've trying to do my best to take care of her, but a week ago, she took a pretty heavy fall. she started nose bleeding and got a contusion on her lower left leg. I was oviously worried, so I tooke hr to the vet, and she said it was fine, that she probably needed some rest. Since she was walking and eating normally, I relaxed a bit. Well, today, after a somewhat casual mouth check, I discovered poor Maiche (that's her name) has her lower front left tooth almost completely gone. I saw no blood or scars, but, you know, she has no tooth! Is there anything I can do to help her?
Runefaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: HELP! chipped tooth

Aero chipped the tip of his tooth. He used to get scared very easily and quickly put his visor down.. Well if he was on a hard surface (floor, vets table etc) he would hit his teeth. He does it on his bowl too. Well one day I noticed that the pointy tip was gone. There is however a significant amount of tooth and I dont think it chipped far down enough to get the nerve. And he doesnt show pain with it.

Does Maiche show signs of pain? Is she eating and drinking alright? If she is showing signs of pain I would suggest taking her back to the vet and possibly have it removed (or fixed if they can do that for animals). If you notice a problem, you can soften her food up with some warm low sodium chicken broth.

Also when the vet did the full check over after her fall why didnt he notice the tooth?

Give her extra snuggles for me and keep us updated..
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh, she's as active as ever, eats and drinks normally (lots of both) and doesnt show signs of pain, as in, she lets me handle her just fine. Her chipped tooth can still be seen, but it is mostly gone. No bleeding or difficulty at chewing, so far.
And I think she's a bit tired of snuggles. I think I cuddle her too much. She's probably thinking "Ugh, this CREEP won't leave me alone!"
This is her: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v738/ ... A50065.jpg

Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

OMG that's the cutest picture I've ever seen.

I would like to snuggle her if she's tired of your snuggles
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zalea Send a message via MSN to Zalea

That is an absolutely adorable picture. You have a beautiful hedgie.

I hope her tooth turns out not to be a problem. Like Melissa said, if there's any sign of pain another vet check should be in order. Watch her carefully and go from there.

And welcome to the forum. Sorry it was under these circumstances, but hopefully the rest of your time here will be more positive.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcoming guys. I think she trusts me enough, and seems to be acting normally around me, so I hope that, if I see any problems, I'll spot them right away
Yeah, she is quite cute indeed. She likes to bite a lot, though, and she seems to be completely inmune to the air puff thing.
Im still a bit worried about the contusion down there. It isnt weirdly colored or anything like that, but it seems bigger than her other leg area
Old 11-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did the vet give you something for the swelling? I'm not sure if that can be helped with antibiotics . I'm also not sure how practical icing her little leg-- perhaps a cool-ish (not cold ) bath and just let her walk around in it? Is she limping at all?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

no, she's not limping or anything, really. She can run quite fas as it is, in fact. The vet didnt give me anything for it, just recommended some resting time. I already tried icing a little the leg, without getting her too cold, but the swelling sort of just settled as a bigger area.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

As long as it isn't infected and/or hurting her, maybe it will just go down with time. Just keep a very very very very very close eye on her and be very very very gentle.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I'll probably do that. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in