Milo attempted hibernation - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Milo attempted hibernation

I went to check on Milo last night before going to bed and discovered he had somehow got poop all over his quills (very odd since his wheel was surprisingly clean) so I decided to give him a quick bath. I used warm water like I always do but it did take a little longer since he really needed a good scrubbing so the water had started to cool down. I took him out and wrapped him in a towel and sat down on the couch with him to make sure he was completely dry and warm before he went back to his cage. When I took him out of the towel to transfer him over to his blanket he had completely balled up (which he never does) and would not come out. I didn't think he would go into hibernation so quickly I thought he was just grumpy because I had to brush his quills clean and he hates his quills being touched but after being unable to coax him out with mealworms I really started to freak out. I sat him on my lap with a hot water bottle and the heat lamp pointed at us for almost 2 hours, he wasn't responding at all to me touching him (usually he hisses when I stroke his quills). Finally he popped out of his ball and looked up at me like everything was fine, but when I eventually moved to return him to his cage he balled up again and wouldn't respond to me at all I placed him in his cage wrapped a blanket around it to keep the heat in and left him for about ten min in which time he moved himself back into his box and curled up to sleep like he usually does (quills down and NOT in a complete ball)

I've read that they usually attempt hibernation again within the week is there anything more I should be doing to prevent this? His cage is at 77 degrees right now, he seems to be back to normal but he didn't eat as much last night as he usually does.
funkybee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Milo attempted hibernation

How long do you have his light on for? I believe 12 hours is recommended. Be sure he has his light and the steady heat, check on him often. The first few days, especially. Check each morning, and if you happen to get up at night check to see if he ate/used wheel/pooped, check his water. Feel his belly, it should be warm.

If this helps, mine have their light on from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day. It gives their bodies a "clock" to go by.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Seems like he got chilled after the bath.
Did you have him sitting beside you, or in your lap?
Usually, after a bath, I have my boy wrapped up right against my body. Either in my lap, or wrapped up with me in my fleece robe.
I'd usually have his snugglesafe heated and on hand as well, in case I have to get up and put him down for whatever reason.

Just keep an eye on him for the next few days, and like said above, count on his kibbles and measure his water level.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had him wrapped up in the towel on my lap but I think there was too much towel around him for him to get much of my body heat I will be more careful about that next time, and have his snugglesafe disc on hand too cause I'm perpetually cold so I probably don't make a very good hedgie heater

I've been sitting next to his cage most of the day and he is making the usual sounds ( he likes to dig at the bottom of his box from time to time and occasionally makes sniffing or licking noises) I'll keep an eye on his food and water. Thanks for the responses I'm so worried, I've had him for a year and thought I was beyond making stupid mistakes...
funkybee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Edna tried to hibernate when she was 8 weeks old (now 13 weeks) because the weather suddenly got much cooler. Now that summer has kicked in, my room is about 75 F (24 C) without my heater. She is happy and well, but she acted a strange for about two weeks. She started jumping more, and running away more, and for a while I was really frightened that she would stay like that, but she is back to normal.

Just make sure she has heat. I had a heating pad under half of her bed area so she had the option of heat or no heat, in a heated room. This seemed to work well, and now the weather is warm enough that I just use the room heater if we have a chilly day and I'm worried about it.

Good luck!
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

I hope Milo is doing well now and that he will continue to be "hibernation-less!" hahaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in