Hibernation Attempt... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation Attempt...

Hi,

My hedgehog (10 weeks old, female) attempted to hibernate on Saturday night, so three days ago, as a result of the weather suddenly getting cold! I warmed up the room and put a heating pad under her bin and she warmed up and started moving more within 15 minutes. In less than 2 hours she was eagerly eating her food and wanting more, and she woke me up at 5 am (5 hours after finding her) running across the room (she had managed to escape her temporary warm-up cage). She is now back in her big cage, with a heating pad on low under half of the bed part of her cage. She is pooping regularly, she is eating regularly...there may be a slight decrease in her wheel activity. Sometimes she seems okay to be handled, but sometimes she starts jumping...something she never did before.

I assume it is a process to recover from her hibernation attempt...but is there any "expected behaviour" following this traumatic experience? The jumping she does makes me a little nervous but I just want to make sure that that makes sense after what she's been through...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

- Marin
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hibernation Attempt...

After a hibernation attempt, they will usually try again in the near future. Be sure the room is at least 72 at all times.

She is also getting ready to quill again at 12 weeks, so that could be causing the grumpiness.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I also thought it might have something to do with the quilling...this just isn't something I expected to happen so having it happen right around her quilling period makes it difficult to tell what's what!

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi again, it's a week after the incident and she's gotten mostly back to normal. Today, however, I came home from work and she started running around like mad and jumping frantically, and has done that for two hours whenever I come near her. I haven't taken a shower but have taken off my work shirt, washed my hands, etc. I am hoping this is just some weird smell on me, not some effect from the traumatic experience we both went through last weekend when she tried to hibernate...
Old 05-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm thinking it's a really good thing that at least she's not being lethargic.. I've never heard of a hedgie that changes temperament after a hibernation attempt but I know that it compromises their immune system seriously so you have to be really really careful not to let her get sick. As long as she's eating well and being active I'd think she's fine.

kurai18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Okay, good to know. She is running on her wheel as we speak, is eating fine, poop seems normal...she's just acting really strange. Running around frantically and jumping around (especially when I put my hand out for her to smell, or to pick her up)...even when I feed her kibble with my fingers, she grabs it and backs away.

Does this happen when they quill? I didn't think that the change would be so sudden...but she's 11 weeks now so it's about the right time...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in