Flaky skin and super quill loss - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flaky skin and super quill loss

Hi there

It's been a while since I've posted (but I suppose that's a good thing - his health has been in perfect condition). Unfortunately Watson's skin has been SO dry and flaky recently combined with quills falling out left, right and centre. The funny thing is he doesn't scratch AT all. His quills all have the little ball at the end (I know that is not the be all and end all of him not having mites but it is an indication). His activity still seems pretty much the same. His eating and drinking has dipped a bit but not drastically.
I should also mention that is is summer here and we do have terribly dry summers - even my skin goes a little wacky. But could his lack in eating/drinking and the dry skin/quill loss be down to the dry summer?
He is a grumpy little bugger but he just seems more so lately as well. He isn't quite a year yet (May 16th) so I don't think it's his year quill - unless he is mature for his age.
He's kept on liners and I feed him Royal Canin (the best I can get here).
Also, I don't know if this has anything to with anything but when I handle him these days he makes me all bumpy and super itchy!
Last thing, I have tried the Flaxseed Oil in his food and on his back but it doesn't seem to help.

Any advice or help please!
Thanks - Sarah and Watson

Old 02-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Flaky skin and super quill loss

bump
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Try giving him a bath with a few drops of olive oil in the water.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie76

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but I am trying to not sound redundant in my posting as all active people in this community know I am going through this very thing with my boy hog Leroux.

He has flaky skin and also has quill loss (about 10-20 a day) and there is flaky skin at the end of the fallen out quills yet sometimes it just has some gunk at the bottom of it with the follicle attached (which is really has nothing to say for mites or not.. a lot of people seem to think if the follicle is attached, there probably isn't mites.. but that isn't the case). I have had my guy on meds for other ailments and fungal tested, skin scraped= nothing. My whole herd is being treated with Revolution since there is a new addition to the family, so hopefully in a month or so, it might be a solution.

Watson is probably more grumpy than usual just do to being uncomfortable and that also might be why his appetite is down. Same thing with my situation too. I just constantly weigh my little guy, once a night at the same time, and also, I do count his food to closely monitor his good nights vs. his bad nights. As far as bathing, I think I made the mistake of bathing my guy with flax oil too much and that might have caused some clogging of the pores which is probably what the gunk is at the base of the quills he is losing. In my case, I have stopped bathing my guy until this all clears up (and yes, I get the hive or two when holding him as well... hehe). I would recommend maybe that you keep up with the Flaxseed oil on the food and just give that more time. But, if his quill loss keeps up, it might be time to make a vet visit to see what is going on.. Our little hedgies are very good at hiding illness and that is why monitoring stool color and consistency, food and water intake, activity level/mood changes and keeping a very close eye on their weight during these times is imperative (it is always good to do, but I seem to get quite obsessive about this when something might be up).

How is Watson with his treats (if he likes any that is..) and activity level??
Stephanie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hoglet,
If its terribly dry, can you purchase a humidifier for his area? Set around pots of water to add humidity to his general area? How about setting houseplants around his area (but out of his reach) and misting those once a day? Then he would have higher humidity without, hopefully, making everyone else feel muggy.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hedgiepets: I have tried the olive oil - in fact I usually give him a little olive oil rinse after each bath. Still flaky...

Stephanie76: Thanks so much for your incredibly detailed response. I think I should perhaps just have him checked out by the vet. He seems back on track with his eating and drinking - it's just his flaky quill loss left. But as I said he has not scratched once!

krbshappy71: Andre and I are terrible with plants - we love them and tried keeping them unfortunately we just end up killing them But I think I'll give the humidifier a go, I use one every night for my asthma so maybe I'll lend him to him for a little while.

Thanks SO much for replying to my post - it is so appreciated!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like a vet check is in order then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in