worried - please advise! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default worried - please advise!

I have a 3 1/2 month old female hedgie, and have become very concerned over what I've been finding in her litter box. Louise is my first hedgie, and ever since I purchased her (the week before Christmas) I took no notice of the green colored mucus that I often found alongside her very normal-looking poops. I figured it was just the way hedgie poop looks. Then, the week before last, my husband found a considerable amount of completely clear mucus in her litter box (perhaps 2 or 3 times the size of a regular poop). He also found vomit on her blanket. I didn't know what to make of it when he told me, and figured I'd just keep and eye on her. Then, last week I found another clump of the clear mucus, a bit smaller this time. Obviously is isn't coming from her mouth or nose since it is in her litter box, and I'd imagine it must be coming from her rectum (rather than out with her pee) simply because of the size/amount of it. I then began to wonder if the green mucus I'd been seeing earlier with her poop wasn't normal at all.

Louise has been eating different dry food than what her breeder had been giving her, but it has been a month and a half now for her system to get used to it. She is eating lots of healthy food, having lots (and LOTS!) of perfectly normal poops every day, running on her wheel whenever she can, living in a quiet, stress free and very warm room, not losing any weight, etc... Could the clear mucus be part of a female cycle, the occasional green mucus nothing to worry about, and the vomit just a fluke? Or, does this sound more serious, perhaps an infection, lung worms... that sort of thing. I'd rather not bring her to the vet simply because we really don't have the money. What do you think, and what would you do?
Hedgie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: worried - please advise!

I would suggest you take her to the vet. You should have a fecal done on her.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie76

Quote:
I'd rather not bring her to the vet simply because we really don't have the money.
This really bothers me. You need to take your hedgehog to the vet.
Stephanie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie76
Quote:
I'd rather not bring her to the vet simply because we really don't have the money.
Money is tight for us right now; I didn't say that I wouldn't take the hedgehog to the vet. I just said that I'd rather not if I don't have to. Hence my request for advice. If I didn't care about the animal's welfare, I wouldn't have bothered posting on this board.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgie123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie76
Quote:
Money is tight for us right now; I didn't say that I wouldn't take the hedgehog to the vet. I just said that I'd rather not if I don't have to. Hence my request for advice. If I didn't care about the animal's welfare, I wouldn't have bothered posting on this board.
I'd recommend the vet too. Normal hedgie poos should be long, solid & a dark brown colour. Toothpaste consistency when fresh & cement like when dry.

As for the money comment, please don't take offense to someone raising concern over a posting about money concerns and going to the vet. There have unfortunately been too many owners in the past on this forum (and pet owners in general) who don't have the 'emergency' funds set aside for medical care. This isn't to say whether you do or not (or whether you were ready to go to the vet or not) but many people are naturally on edge when hearing that money concerns are a reason that a pet may not get the medical attention they need. As for you, it is clear that you are concerned about your hedgie and looking for good advice to help them get better. I agree that the best advice right now would be a visit to the vet.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for the advice. All of you seem to think it is serious enough for the vet, so I guess that's where we're headed.

I just wanted to mention one last thing, in case it didn't come across clearly in my original post. Louise's poops are all perfectly normal in size, consistency and color. It's just that these very healthy poops are sometimes accompanied by tiny, green mucus/jelly-like clumps. Do you think it's possible that it could just be a manifestation of her getting used to a new home (don't forget that we only got her a little over a month ago). I think our home environment is different than that of the breeder's house - we have little kids, a noisy bird, etc... It's not a stressful house (I hope) for her, but perhaps all the new noises, smells, voices, and routine could be affecting things. Also, the breeders we bought her from said that they fed her things like ice cream and potato chips (she was a bit overweight), whereas I don't feed her any junk food. Her diet in our house consists of dry kibbles, super-worms, and fresh fruit and veggies. So there's been a change in diet, as well. Finally, I've been wondering if the clear mucus could have something to do with her female cycle.

She really seems so happy and healthy in every way that it's hard for me to believe that she is sick! She runs all over our house when we let her out, chomps down everything we feed her with great vigor... all the things I mentioned before. If she needs to go to the vet then of course that's where we will go, but I'm just wondering if these things sound like they could simply be normal responses to a relatively new environment/diet, perhaps coupled with the onset of a female cycle. I'd just like to get a feeling if this could possibly be normal hedgie stuff v.s. we should be rushing off to the vet tonight!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Her diet in our house consists of dry kibbles, super-worms, and fresh fruit and veggies.
I'd switch to plain meal-worms, super-worms are stronger, more aggressive and have been known to bite the insides of hedgies mouths and even insides of the stomach if they happen to not get chewed thoroughly.
SilverQuill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Finally, I've been wondering if the clear mucus could have something to do with her female cycle.
To my knowledge hedgies don't have a 'female cycle.' I've had my female for a year & 1/2 and never had any mucous-y stuff in her litter box. Ovalation for hedgehogs is induced (I think) when near a male, which is the reason for keeping males & females housed separately unless intending to breed.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercat
Quote:
Finally, I've been wondering if the clear mucus could have something to do with her female cycle.
To my knowledge hedgies don't have a 'female cycle.' I've had my female for a year & 1/2 and never had any mucous-y stuff in her litter box. Ovalation for hedgehogs is induced (I think) when near a male, which is the reason for keeping males & females housed separately unless intending to breed.
That is what I have read on this site as well.

To Hedgie123: Sometimes green stool accompanied with normal stool is just adjustment but mucus isn't normal in any amount. If you had a male I would say it's probably seaman but for a female there shouldn't be any bodily fluids that look like mucus. I know that if you are stressing over finances the last thing you need is a vet visit (I was in the same situation when my hedgehog got sick last month) all I can say is good luck and hopefully it is cleared up after one visit without too many extra expenses for tests and meds etc.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

A suggestion to save on time/cost is to bring a stool & mucous sample with you (or a couple) in a zip lock baggy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in