Still quilling... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie76
Default Still quilling...

So, my 13 week old boy started his final - adult quilling about 3 days ago. I noticed that he is losing about 2 - 4 adult quills in the mix with his baby quills. Is this normal? They have the follicle attached still, but I know that does not mean much in the way of mites, but I just thought I would state this observation.
Stephanie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Still quilling...

Thought I would bump this as I noticed another adult quill this morning.

Also I did see a concentrated area of just redness (no bumps or wounds) on a tiny portion of skin where the skirt line meet the quill line this morning. Should I just keep an eye on this or make a vet visit? Poo's look good as does urine. No change in appetite (he is eating little less than usual, but I hear they do when they are quilling) and his weight is only going up! He did have his first peanut butter experience last night. He gave it pea size portion of PB two or three small licks and then anointed with it.. and semi-around the area that is red but I just don't see that being it.

Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry am too new at this to help. My first thoughts are to stop any new treats to rule out an allergic reaction to anything in the peanut butter or any other foods you have been introducing. (for the redness area)
My other thought is maybe a nice bath with the Aveeno or olive oil to soothe his skin during this quilling. If the peanut butter did irritate at all (I agree probably not but its all we have to go on) then maybe the bath would remove the irritation.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

How is Leroux today? Is he any better?
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for asking Shetland!

It actually looks like something is up. He poo's are a bit inconsistent with looking fine one moment and then the next one ... isn't so fine looking. Also, the area of irritation seems to have a scab on it now. I am really stressing about this just because the poor guy hasn't had a break since he entered our home: with gender confusion, staph infection - treated with Baytril, and his quilling. I am really worried about him.

He seems to be in good spirits (well, for *him*). He is still losing an adult quill here and there. When they come off, there seems to be a lot of gunk at the base of the quill. No idea what that is (maybe the flax seed oil build up?!).

***sigh***
If the scab area doesn't clear by Saturday, I am going to take him in.

Thanks again for your concern, I have no idea what any of this is.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you have to visit the vet, maybe you should take a fer quills with any attachments with you. I am sure you know far better than I do; just a thought I had. Hope the little one is better soon. Keep the updates coming!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very good idea shetland!!! I do collect the quills but probably wouldn't of thought to bring them in!

When he is hurting, I am hurting.. I just want him well (as does a lot of us on this board). I will definitely keep you posted.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

The poo inconsistency may be from the antibiotic. Which one was he on?

Perhaps the antibiotic did not completely get rid of the staph infection and it has come back. If they treat him again, go with Antirobe. It is what most breeders use for staph and works well.

Don't use any oil based product on him as it will seal the pores and hold any infection in. Flax seed usually washes off fairly easily so try a bath with some Aveeno to clean some of it off.

Count his kibble and keep a record so you know if his food intake is going down.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

He was on Baytril for 2 weeks, but that was in early December. You would think his stool would regulate more since then, but from what you all are saying, it can be pretty rough on their tum tums.

I just gave him a bath in just the Aveeno oatmeal and used no oils. I think that you are right Nanc with the sealing the pores because it looks like the oil is just building up under his quills. I was able to gently rub the top of his skirt and get most of it off. There is that little red spot, looks a bit better tonight. I will just keep an eye on that.

I counted his kibble and will also be weighing him daily. He is only at 278 grams as of tonight, but he is very much teardrop shaped and he seems to love his food mix.

I still have that vet appt reserved just in case that spot gets worse or I notice a decrease in appetite.

Will keep you all posted!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Actually, is it normal for them to lose adult quills while they are doing their final quilling? He is at 13 weeks as previously stated.

I was just laying here with him on my lap after the bath, and 2 adult quills fell off.

*edit
Make that 7 adult quills. *le sigh*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in