Nail cutting - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nail cutting

Ok so I'm having some serious worries about Spike. His nails are really long and I can't cut them. He is a bouncing puffing spitting ball of quills when he is out of his cage or if I go near him. I have bathed him in shallow water and he runs around then but I still can't get to his nails cause he getsreally upset and jumps at me when I go to touch him. What do I do???? I want to get his nails trimmed so he doesn't get hurt...... anyone wanna come over and help me????
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Nail cutting

are there any treats he likes that would make bath time and nail trims less stress full? If they are not urgently in need of being done (not curling into feet) I would just wait. Go slowly with bonding and getting him used to baths with treats and then try it.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

what kind of treats should I feed him??? He will sniff my hands and run across them in the tub so giving him treats and bonding with him in the tub may be my only option...they don't seem to be curling but they look long.
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bengall77

You could try to trim his nails indirectly. Some people create a dig box out of sandbox quality sand and a high lipped tupperware container or cat litter tray. You can even put a coarse stone (from the garden center of your hardware store) at the bottom. This would help wear down his nails until you two bond more.
Bengall77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 02:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengall77
You could try to trim his nails indirectly. Some people create a dig box out of sandbox quality sand and a high lipped tupperware container or cat litter tray. You can even put a coarse stone (from the garden center of your hardware store) at the bottom. This would help wear down his nails until you two bond more.
You'll have to heat the sand to disinfect. Also...This is a male... So very likely that pieces of sand would get stuck in his boy parts, thus causing even more problems.

The stone may file down the front nails if the hedgie scratches/digs on top of it, but other than that, the back nails will still need to be clipped. And back nails are the ones that grow very quickly. And you'll also run into the high possibility of the stone being too rough on his soft paw pads, causing scrapes on the bottom of his feet.

To the OP, do you have someone else who can help? If you do a search(located upper right corner) for nail trimming, you will come up with many searches. Although, to quote LarryT off another thread...Just to get you started. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT
Also, I've also tried letting my boy burrow into his fleece, so that his head is covered, and I'll just gently take his hind paw and clip his nails.

Something else I've done... Wake my boy up in the middle of the afternoon, gently take him out of bed, and quickly clip his nails before he's able to fully wake up :3 It sounds mean, but it gets it done.

Another good thing to do, is to always rub his feet while he's out with you during bonding time. I've played with my boy's feet since the day I got him, and he's awesome now for nail trimming. I do all of this by myself as well, and I can get both back feet done in one session, front ones as well when they need them.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bengall77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
You'll have to heat the sand to disinfect. Also...This is a male... So very likely that pieces of sand would get stuck in his boy parts, thus causing even more problems.

The stone may file down the front nails if the hedgie scratches/digs on top of it, but other than that, the back nails will still need to be clipped. And back nails are the ones that grow very quickly. And you'll also run into the high possibility of the stone being too rough on his soft paw pads, causing scrapes on the bottom of his feet.
I believe that is only an issue if the hedgehog is using the sand as a litter box. The particles should not sick to his boy parts unless he's urinating in the sandbox or his belly is damp. Yes, it would only file down his two front feet. But that's two less to trim with nail clippers.

As for the pads of his feet- with something like a dig box the digging is completely up to them. It's not like you're putting fine grit sandpaper on his wheel, which he HAS to use. If his feet are getting sore from the stone or the sand, he can choose to stop digging.
Bengall77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengall77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia

I believe that is only an issue if the hedgehog is using the sand as a litter box. The particles should not sick to his boy parts unless he's urinating in the sandbox or his belly is damp. Yes, it would only file down his two front feet. But that's two less to trim with nail clippers.

As for the pads of his feet- with something like a dig box the digging is completely up to them. It's not like you're putting fine grit sandpaper on his wheel, which he HAS to use. If his feet are getting sore from the stone or the sand, he can choose to stop digging.
Sand is an issue for males whether or not they pee in it. Even dry sand can get stuck. Also it's not like you can tell your hedgehog that it's not a litter box. Better to stay away from it all together.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in