New hedgehog sneezing/wheezing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgehog sneezing/wheezing

Hi everyone,

I purchased another hedgehog yesterday and housed her in a new cage. When I picked her up, the store said she wasn't eating and were feeding her Puppy Boost, but when I fed her kibbles at home she was eating

When I got her home I noticed that she was sneezing or wheezing. I am not sure which of the 2 it is, but it was once or twice every minute. I have her on fleece and the cage has been cleaned.

She ate her kibbles yesterday and drank water. Her poop was brown and firm.

I bought her from Petland which provides a 14 day guarantee. If there are any problems, I can take her to their designated vet. If there is a problem they will cover the bill but if there is not I have to. The vet that they have has no reviews vs the vet I have been to is well reviewed.

Do you think the sneezing/wheezing is due to her being in a new home or a problem? I did some research and URI's seem to be something to worry about. I have an appt to take her to the vet I have been to on Saturday for a wellness check, but I thought if there was a problem I would take her to Petland's vet since they will pay for the bill.

Last edited by wonger; 12-17-2013 at 05:21 PM.
wonger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sneezing and wheezing isn't a normal behaviour due to a new home. If she's on loose bedding it could be due to an allergy, or it could be a URI. if she's not already separated from your first hog, move her to a room as far away as you can get. If they've been near each other and it's a URI be prepared for your original one to get sick too, but still separate them until they've both been healthy for a while so they don't pass the sickness back and forth.
DesertHedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What kind of bedding are you using? If you're not already, I would make sure you have her on liners, washed with a scentless detergent (or just vinegar if you don't have any) and see if that improves matters. If it doesn't help or if you're already doing that, I'd head to the vet. It does sound like a possible URI and the earlier they're taken care of, the better.

Do you know if she was kept at the correct temperature at the store? Did she have any kind of heating? Do you have a heating set up for her or know what temperature her cage is? If she wasn't kept warm enough, that adds more support for a possible URI, since they can get them from being too cold, even if they're not attempting hibernation.

Good luck, and it's a shame that you both had to deal with this so soon! Keep us updated.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! Guess i'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow... They were using care fresh (i believe) at the store, but I am using fleece at home. Just moved her into another room now lol.

Will keep you all posted!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

If it were allergies she could still be suffering from being on carefresh, it's very dusty, but you would see a gradual decrease since she's no longer exposed to it. Is she scratching at all? If so she might benefit from an oatmeal bath which would sooth her skin and get off any remnants of carefresh.
DesertHedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ya she is scratching, I'll give her an oatmeal bath when I buy more towels lol.

The vet prescribed her some clavamox. She is really small in weight too... only 102 grams. lol The vet prescibed .02ml.

Also, caught her eating Yesterdays News, so I guess no more for her lol
Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Weird colour poop

Hi everyone

So I have been using clavamox. It's been 3 days.

I noticed her poop looks really weird. I can't differentiate colours but I can see that part of the poop is really light/clear. Kind of like mucus.

Is it time to go to a more experienced vet? Or wait it out? She doesn't seem to be making as much sound anymore thou which is good? But the poop sure doesn't look right. Maybe the clavamox will help and I should wait 7 more days?

Also, just to recapture above, I got her 5 days ago and have changed her food.

Thanks!

image.jpg

Last edited by wonger; 12-22-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Looks like a response to the antibiotics since they tend to upset the digestive system. Lily's poop looked very much the same when she was on antibiotics the last couple months I had her. You can give her some probiotics to try and help keep it from getting worse. Either small mammal Bene-Bac (pet store) or acidophilus (pharmacy) will work. I always used acidophilus & just put a big pinch (1/4-1/2 a capsule) on the food.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

So it has been 11 days since using clavamox. She been getting better it seems. Has not been wheezing/sneezing/sniffling sound as often, but when she does it is like 5 times in a row. Happens more than 10 mins apart (may be more or less, but not sure. Just seems like a while).

Took her in to see the vet today. Vet says stop using the clavamox because maybe need to get the good bacteria to build up again. My thoughts would be to still use the clavamox till shes better? If i stop that means the bad bacteria is still there?

On a side note, she has been scratching and has crusts on her. Got some revolution treatment lol.

Another side note, she was eating in a corner today. Was wondering how did her food get across the cage. Turned out to be her poop!....... is this normal? (should this be a new thread?) I know my other hedgehog likes to lick the poop off his feet to clean.

So many issues sigh lol...
Old 12-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't understand stopping the clavamox unless the vet is planning on starting something else. It doesn't make sense to me to stop a medication if the problem isn't fixed. Has the vet done any cultures to test for sensitivity to different antibiotics? If not, I'd ask them to do that next.

As for the poop... Some animals eat their poop to get nutrients that are missing from their diet, but I'm not sure if that's the case with hedgies.

Tags
respiratory, sounds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in