A Possible Mite Question... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A Possible Mite Question...

Okay. I know a whole bunch of people have posted on here concerning mites, and I promise I've read just about every post concerning them, but I still have a few questions...

I got Algy this past Sunday, and he's just about 7 weeks old. His previous home wasn't the greatest, and I know he stayed in shavings, but I have kept him on fleece. When I first started handling him, I noticed that the skin above his legs and below his quill line was red; or at least noticeably redder than the skin on his stomach, which looks a healthy pink. Behind his ears are kinda red also. He doesn't scratch when I have him out and am holding him, but he scratches at night when he's in his cage.

I also haven't bathed him since I got him (other than feet baths).

SO. Does the redness of that particular area of skin sounds familiar to anyone? I tried a bazillion times to take pictures for reference, but SOMEONE (coughALGERNONcough) wasn't cooperating, and in the few seconds he was, you cant see the redness in the pictures. -.-

I also usually lay out a black blanket for him to wander around on, and he does leave 'hedgie dandruff' on it. I've stared at the flakes to see if they move but haven't seen any move as of yet.

I know I probably need to take him to the vet, I just wondered if anyone had experienced this before.

Thanks you guys so much!

TheSmilingToast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: A Possible Mite Question...

It does not sound like it is definitely mites but could be. I would give him a bath. Put a couple of drops of Jojoba oil, or olive oil in to moisturize the skin. Then if he is still scratching and red, go to the vet.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Those are all the places where Rocko's skin was red when he had mites.
I'd say give him the bath like Hedgiepets said, just to make sure it isn't dry skin. If he's still red after that then take him to the vet. Dry skin and mites are both common in hedgies so it can be pretty hard to tell.
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do know that he is so cute that I want to hedgienap him!!!!!!!!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Okay, so I should give him an olive oil bath to start off with? Do I just use a few drops? Do I use the Aveeno too?

ALSO. If we just went ahead and skipped the vet, and gave Algy a dose of Revolution...would that be negative? My thinking was that if he did have mites, the Revolution would take care of them, and if he didn't, it would be a preventative.

But if that is just wayyyy off base tell me!!

TheSmilingToast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 03:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not an expert or anything, but if you can get Revolution without going to the vet and apply to see if that helps, it can't hurt. Usually you need a prescription from the vet to get it, though. If you wanted to do that and could get Revolution (that you're sure is the real stuff and not a knockoff or whatever) then I would still take him to the vet if you don't see an improvement rather quickly. The quill loss and flaky skin might continue as the skin and quill beds have been damaged, but he should stop itching fairly soon after the application.

Make sure he is eating enough and that everything else (poop, activity levels, etc) is normal. Some hedgies will have other symptoms with mites, like not eating as much or being grumpy, but any really dramatic changes should be taken into consideration. If it starts looking really bad don't wait to go to the vet.
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in