There is a mouse in the house! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default There is a mouse in the house!

My husband decided to paint the living room today. (he is a painter by trade) And when we were moving the couch we found a pile of seed casings and what seems to be mouse poop. The thing is, those are seeds from my hedgehogs cage! And none of the treat or food containers have any holes! So I have come to believe that we have a mouse that has been sneaking into Brillos cage and stealing his treats. His cage was on the floor, but it has plexiglass all around the bottom half... although I don't think that would make a difference because mice can get into anything.

Anyways my question is, until the mouse is caught. Do you think Brillo will be okay? I don't know how long he has been sharing his cage with this unwanted "roommate". Also, do you think the mouse could carry anything that could potentially cause health problems with Brillo?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: There is a mouse in the house!

That's a nightmare. Try and get an old fashioned mouse trap. I have read accounts where a mouse can attack a hedgehog. If this happens you will know about it because your hedgehog is likely to scream for help. You must get rid of it.
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

lame! im sorry this is happening get a bunch of mouse traps, and before you go to bed put them out surrounding brillo's cage, and that should solve the mousey issue if youre completely against those mouse traps... i dont know what to tell you
heeyyparis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

This reminds me of the time my cockateil lade an egg she lays 'em all the time , but they have no baby cuz we got her a boy but he's..not getting into action i guess. but they ( Polly and Topo) are in our porch where there is a screen to the outside so some how a mouse got in and since their cage is open so they are free to wonder the porch, so a mouse came in and was stealling Polly's eggs! Most of the time they would be just broken, and we thought she was doing it herself until my mom saw the mouse eat some of their food and brake the egg ( I'm not sure why) at night so we set up a few traps around the porch and we caught the mouse.
We used these smallish plastic looking gray ones that were not strong enough to kill the mouse if u don't leave the lil' mouse in there to long. So we caught him and let him go about in the forest ( Ofcourse not near enough from us so he could scurry back)
and that solved the mouse problem! no more broken eggs or mice
good luck
Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Why does your hedgehog have seeds? Nuts and seeds hold no nutritional value for a hedgehog and are dangerous as they can get caught in the roof of their mouth and in their teeth.

Mice carry disease and parasites so you need to make sure it cannot get near Brillo.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's part of the 8-1 brand "Ultra Bites for Hedgehogs, Fruit & Veggie treats". We got a bunch of cans of them for christmas.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

[attachment=0:1i5dltwx]l_a21beec731178d4f099ce622bb72fcbb.jpg[/attachment:1i5dltwx]*GASP!* NOOOOO!

My little Ambrose DIED from getting a seed from that 8 in 1 Hedgehog treat caught in his mouth. He couldn't eat or drink, and by the time we realized what was going on (after a day) he had scratched up his face and tongue and bled/starved/dehydrated to death. He died in my husbands hands at 2 am the evening after we found him. Our emergency vet was a 45 min. drive away and they told us on the phone they probably couldn't do anything for him. We were hoping he could hold on until the morning and took turns holding him and dripping water into his mouth and on his poor clawed up, swollen tongue. It was AWFUL seeing him suffer and I still cry about it.

Don't let your sweet little hedgie have a horrible accident like this! Research EVERYTHING you offer your hedgehog!

We had left if in his cage with his food. Ambrose was an adventurous eater, but thank God our other hedgehog at the time wasn't! Zeus turned up his nose at that snack. Ambrose died July 23, 2008. I still miss him.

Get that treat away from him! Those people at 8 in 1 have no idea what hedgehogs need as a treat! If I had only researched this product online, I would have seen that this has happened to other hedgehogs many times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_a21beec731178d4f099ce622bb72fcbb.jpg (31.2 KB, 22 views)

Hedgehog mom to Zeus, Aries, Artemis, Pepper, Bonnie, Bridget, Athena, and Clover.

"So many things are possible just as long as you don't know they're impossible." The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
rainbowcookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks for sharing your story! I had no idea that they were that bad! Brillo doesn't really eat the seeds anyway but I will throw them out right away.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have ultra bites and Pinchita is crazy about the kibble but I dont feead her the seeds.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you don't want to kill the mouse, there's a way to catch them that don't require you to buy anything.

Take a deep enough bucket that a mouse couldn't escape from, pile up books next to it up to it's rim. Use a piece of wood or whatever else you can find to make a climbable ramp up to the books Make a plank by putting a ruler on top of the book so half of it is overing over the inside of the bucket.

Then put some peanut butter on the end of the ruler that overing in midair.

When the mouse goes up to follow the smell of the PB, she'll walk the plank, it will tip over, and AVAST! Down the bucket she goes, Yarr!

Then you can just take the bucket, and drive a good distance to release it into the wild. I say drive, because you really want to make it a good distance so she doesn't come back (and you might want to go to someplace that's not near any house).

In the meantime, you should probably put the cage on top of a table or something, to make sure she doesn't go back in.

You should probably check your hedgie thoroughfully for bites too, I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in