Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   URI? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402)

sebian 10-24-2008 09:56 PM

URI?

I'm fairly sure Sebastian is developing something. His nose is running and he's licking it. He's always been fairly calm and he's not sneezing very much (if at all-- sometimes huffs and sneezes are hard for me to decipher). He's still pretty alert and active and eating ok and running in his wheel and pooping all over the place, so I hope I've caught this in time. I'm going to take him to the vet first thing in the morning (of course, these things don't happen at noon when I'm home).

Is it time to quarantine Sebastian? His cage is about 3 feet from Damian's and on the opposite side of the room to Ivan's. I don't know how super contagious URI's are... :(

Nancy 10-24-2008 11:50 PM

Re: URI?

I'm sure with antibiotic he will be fine. Usually as long as they are still eating well and not blowing snot, it's caught early enough.

I don't know if quarantining will make much difference at this point or not. Chances are Sebastion was already contagious so moving Damien now probably won't help. Just mention to the vet that you have another one at home and ask if you can just phone in for meds if he starts showing symptoms too. Good luck. :)

sebian 10-25-2008 09:38 AM

Re: URI?

I figured that was the case. Thanks for the advice on asking for more meds. His appointment is this afternoon :?

sebian 10-25-2008 10:47 PM

Re: Update on URI (and other issues)

I took Sebastian to the vet and she said we caught it early enough. Now the trick is to get him to eat the Baytril-- I put some on his food, so I'm hoping that works. He also lost about 30 grams since his last visit (he was showing early signs of obesity i.e. not being able to completely roll into a ball). I will give Damian half the dose I have to give Sebastian, seeing as he's not really showing any signs of a URI. If that doesn't work, the vet assured me that I'd be able to call in for the meds for Damian without having to sit in a vet's office for 3 hours with screaming children/dogs/cats/birds/lizards.

The other update is on our rescue, Ivan (because I just noticed this little first)-- we have the lights on (as we are getting everyone settled in for the night, including ourselves) and we put his food bowl down and walked away as usual to clean up and do other things, and not only was he eating.. he was eating with the lights on... and then ran on his wheel for a little while until I looked at him. He's also been letting me pet him (with the lights off/tv on) for hours. We're soooo excited about his progress-- it's been going very very well (knock on wood). It's pretty amazing since we've only had him for a little over 4 weeks! :D Hopefully he keeps progressing this quickly -- although, even if he doesn't, I prepared myself for a loooonnnnggggg road ahead the moment we got him. 8-)