Momo update - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Momo update

After being told momo didnt have cancer she was given anti inflamitries (prednisalone) and antibiotics. i have been giving them to her everyday as advised and i took her back to the vet today to check on her progress. The tumour looked as bad as it had been to me and the vet agreed so gassed her again to see inside her mouth. She came back looking grim and told me the tumour has spread and now covers half of her upper jaw. She thinks the biopsy must have been not enough because she is sure now its cancer. it felt like my heart broke there and then. mo has seemed so healthy in every other way but the vet says there is nothing they can do. i have more of the prednisalone to keep giving her which the vet says should slow it down a bit and give some pain relief. i now have to just give her lots of love and keep an eye on her. how do i even know if she is in pain???? it feels even worse after being told she was going to be ok

pammie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie76
Default Re: Momo update

I am so, so very sorry to hear this about little Momo. My thoughts are with you and your little one.
Stephanie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am so sorry to hear this. I agree, its particularly hard to hear after having the uplifting news that it wasn't cancer. Keep her warm and loved and I'm sure others will post with information on how to proceed with pain management and how to know "when to say when" with her. (if you search the forum there are unfortunately other posts regarding cancer situations others have had to deal with) Hugs to you and Momo.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Sorry about your girl
Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I cannot even express how badly I feel for you and your precious baby. Nancy will be along to give valuable advise. She has had a great deal of experience with this. Perhaps you might wish to message Nancy. I am so very sorry.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I am so sorry for the sad news. Oral tumours are horrible and grow so fast. It is very difficult to know when its time as the hedgehogs never seem to be in pain and continue to eat and act like normal. The tumour can take up half their mouth and they still seem happy and bright eyed.
I can't help much on when to know it's time only to say "better an hour too soon than a minute too late".

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am so sorry to hear about little Momo. I hope you will be able to come to a peaceful decision regarding her time left here. (((Hugs)))

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I completely and entirely am so, so sorry for this news. My thoughts are with you and Momo.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm sorry to hear about your little one. I know its difficult. I had to have my Snoop put to sleep a couple years ago due to bone cancer. My vet tried everything to save him, but cancer had started spreading to the brain, so she told me the night before we put him to sleep to give him the best day of his life. Only you can decide when the right time for her to cross the rainbow bridge. They'll be lots of hedgies waiting for her to play with across that bridge.
Darth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

i remember when you had to have snoop put down i think it was when i was new to the forum. i remember feeling really sad as it was the first time i had been around when a hedgie passed. still cant believe mo is not gunna be here soon she really is my baby wont be the same without her!

pammie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in