Quilling? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Haley
  • 1 Post By Annie&Tibbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quilling?

First, Happy thanksgiving to all...

Next. Last night while i was handling Axel he decided to ball up on my chest. After a few minutes he got up and started walking away and i noticed he had some quills left on my shirt. Teeny tiny ones. I also noticed upon looking at his skin it looks like he has some new quills coming in and it looks awfully painful. They almost look like splinters stuck on him Is this what quilling looks like? And is there anything I can do for him to make him feel better? He's been a huffy for the past two days.
Axel1012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, that sounds like quilling.
To be extra sure you can examine the quills that are shed. If there is a little bulb at the end, like a human hair root, that is just normal quilling.

Our 8 week old is doing the same thing. She now has some longer quills here and there mixed in with her baby quills, it looks a little silly. Most of what she is shedding are the little baby quills but also some medium ones that are longer than the baby ones but still smaller than the longest new quills.

I've read that an oatmeal bath helps. Just take regular or unflavored instant oats, put them in a thin sock and tie off the end. Ready a warm but not hot bath. If you use a sink you can put really hot water in first then drain it after a minute and put in warm water that will just come up to the hedgehogs belly or a little higher. Add the sock and swish it around and squeeze water through it until the water looks really cloudy. Then set your guy in the water and pour a little over his back, avoiding his face. You can also add a few drops of olive oil, unscented baby oil, or jojoba oil to the bath water.

The reason for the hot water first is to warm the sink, otherwise the water gets cold really fast. To test water temp drip some on your wrist. Start with a dry wrist. It should feel neither hot nor cold when it first hits your wrist.

Once you are done make sure to hold him in a towel or flannel blanket until he is dry. 30 minutes or so.
Axel1012 likes this.
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, that's quilling. The root-bulb thing is a myth for distinguishing quilling vs. mites, but the description of what's going on is exactly what quilling looks like.

Yes, oatmeal baths or oil can help. I've heard olive oil, flaxseed oil, and vitamin E oil as the recommended ones before, so apparently there's some variation in what people use locally.

For the next while, avoid petting him or ruffling his quills. Bonding might be more, "Here, plop on me while you huff in misery" than anything else for a while; forgive him for his crankiness. Poor tiny crankypants has sharp things poking through his skin all over his body! I'd be grouchy, too.
Axel1012 likes this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie&Tibbers View Post
Poor tiny crankypants has sharp things poking through his skin all over his body! I'd be grouchy, too.
Yeah I figured he was sad/ irritated. He has been hissing and jumping a lot more. So today I just picked him up and he balled up and i just laid him on my belly and cupped him with my hand for a bit of comfort and he sniffed and went back to sleep.

He is so precious i feel so bad with all those little quills . Later I ended up giving him a warm bath and let him walk around in my bath and he seemed to be enjoying it. I dried him off and put him back in his snuggle sack and back asleep he went. My poor little baby. Thanks for the responses <3
Axel1012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in