Tooth fell out! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tooth fell out!

Hello. My hedgie is three now (Snowflake) and when I take her out to relax with me on the bed I put a pee pad down because she has peed a couple times before. When I unfolded the pee pad today to put it back down, a tooth fell out. It looks fairly big for a hedgie and it must be hers. There's no blood anywhere or on the tooth and she doesn't seem to be in pain or acting different. I've tried looking in her mouth to see but she doesn't want me to.

I'm just not sure if it's normal for teeth to fall out and if it's something to be worried about, or if sometimes it happens?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo on 13-11-27 at 12.00 AM.jpg (54.9 KB, 50 views)
HickuptheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Is a cause for concern. Schedule a veterinary visit to have his mouth examined. If he has other teeth that are loose they may need to be pulled.

Their teeth do look absolutely massive for their size. I have some macro images of teeth I took years ago when one of mine lost all of his teeth. He spit a couple of them out in my hand.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Kalandra, could you share those images? I'm interested in seeing them.

New hedgebag designs and hedgehog manga series coming soon!
Beloved Doll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

My mom asked if it could be the cats or even a rats.. haha. It's too small for a cat and I'm 99.9% sure I don't have rats at my apartment, plus I found it in the pee pad on top of the cage after opening it, so it's definitely hers.

I can't bring her to the vets currently, that's my issue. The main reason is money. I brought my other hedgie to the vets just a few months ago and that took any extra money I had. Prior to that, I spent close to $700 on my first hedgie who had cancer and that one took a long time to come back from.
I'd use my credit card, but that's maxed as well (I'm a student living in an apartment for school currently).
I might be able to afford a check up at the end of December, but that's the soonest. I'm just not sure what could cause teeth to fall out? She hasn't changed at all in habits or behaviour, so she seems fine. But I get paranoid when anything happens because my experience with hedgehogs is that they get sick a lot and most 'small' things are usually issues of a bigger illness.

I was wondering if anyone knows the causes for this and whether or not it's potentially really serious?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is she using a water bottle? I have heard those can break teeth if the hedgehog decides to sit there and try to chew on the spout.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved Doll View Post
Is she using a water bottle? I have heard those can break teeth if the hedgehog decides to sit there and try to chew on the spout.
No, she uses a ceramic bowl to drink water from.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

These aren't as high res as I would like (tried to keep the size down for posting) but here are 4.

Cause can be wide, which is why I recommended a vet visit. It could be nothing and it could be serious. Anything from bad genetics, a bad diet early in life, infection/abscess, gum/tooth disease or as bad as a tumor pushing them out.

In the very least I would try to get a look in her mouth. Continue to monitor her weight and for any change in her eating. And get her in if you start to see more changes. If the tooth loss continues, you will need to explore soft diets.

The teeth I am attaching came out just as they were imaged. These have not been cleaned. The teeth were pearly white with a little tartar build up. You'll also notice the roots on a couple of them were hollow. Based on what I was told about the hedgehog's diet prior to his arrival here, we suspect his tooth loss was caused by poor nutrition early in life.

I have one currently who is nearly toothless (she still has her 2 front teeth). With her, we have no idea why. Her previous owner fed her a good diet, and she's been well cared for. We are assuming its genetic with her. She turned 4 recently and started losing her before she turned 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teeth1.jpg (77.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Teeth2.jpg (91.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Tooth1.jpg (78.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Tooth2.jpg (68.9 KB, 24 views)
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, Kalandra! That's amazing. Always was curious about what hedge-teeth were like.

How come one of the teeth on the penny has stringy bits attached to it?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Holy cow! Those are so much bigger than the one I found!

I have been making sure she's eating, I had a bit of a scare a few months back when she stopped (it ended up being because I changed the flavor of her food and she refused to eat). I also feel her every day as I get paranoid about tumors, since my first hedgie had cancer and it was pretty much one day the tumor wasn't there and the next it was!

She still seems fine, she has been eating and being active, her same usual self. I'll try to get a look again in her mouth tonight. I saw her front and it seemed fine, it's tricky trying to see in the back with her though.

I got her from a breeder who has good reviews, so I'm not sure about bad genetics, although anythings possible. I also feed her high quality cat food. She has experience with soft food since I fed it to her when she stopped eating that one time, and will do it again if need be but prefer her eating hard food (she prefers it also), but obviously if it needs to be done, I'll do it.

Thanks for the response, I'll keep an eye out, especially for more teeth. Hopefully it's just a one time thing and won't happen again!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also, not sure if you know anything about this, but someone once said pet insurance covers hedgies, and it's something I'd like to look into. Paying a flat rate every month if it's affordable is better for me so that if something happens and I don't have the couple hundred it's going to cost, I'll know she's covered and can bring her in. Do either of you know anything about it/the cost?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in