Not moving much? Not sure what's wrong - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Not moving much? Not sure what's wrong

My hedgie is about 5 months, and I have had him for two of those. We moved to a different house about a month ago, and up until until now everything ad been just fine.

Usually when I wake up at about 9 in the morning, Higgleton is asleep borrowed in his bedding and fleece. This morning, he was just sitting on top of them, eyes open and bright but he himself not really moving. I reached in and tickled his side to get him to curl up, but afterwards he wouldn't uncurl. I picked him up and this point, and he uncurled in my hand. I held him for a while, to see if I could pinpoint what was wrong. For 5 minutes he continued to be still, the starting moving around as normal. I felt his belly and it felt normal, nice and warm. The house is kept at 78 degrees, but it did snow yesterday and this morning and outside temp dropped to 5 degrees.

I put him back in his cage after 15 minutes of being held and he went back to burrowing under his bedding and then went to sleep. Was it a hibernation attempt? Perhaps he is sick? He is my first hedgie so I'm concerned
Kota&Higgleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe someone else other insight but from your description, I wouldn't be alarmed. If the room is warm and his belly felt warm and he did move around, perhaps he was just relaxing? My girl, Willow, was -very- inactive, *cough*lazy*cough*. She would sit in her little house and sometimes just look around, watching everything. Kind of like how we might just gaze out a window or watch tv.

New hedgebag designs and hedgehog manga series coming soon!
Beloved Doll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
atmospheric change, hibernation, lethargic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in