need quick advice - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default need quick advice

Last night I got momo out as usual and i noticed her mouth seemed swollen. there was a bit of a lump. as far as i can tell she has been eating but to make sure i counted in her food and checked this morning sure enough she has eaten. but tonight the swelling seems worse. i am going to get to a vet tomorrow if one will see me if not it will be tuesday. i gave her some mealies...nothing wrong there she gobbled them down and isnt showing any sign of pain however i am worried. i have attatched the best pic i could get it looks like some sort of absess anyone got any advice till i get to a vet?

pammie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: need quick advice

Did you check her mouth to see if there was a piece of food stuck or anything else? I can't see the lump in the pic. She needs to see a vet asap if she has swelling in the mouth. I would moisten her food until you get answers.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

i tried looking in her mouth but she was having non of it! the lump is the pink looking bit on her mouth it looks like a blister. would you just use water to moisten her food?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, use water to moisten it. looks like maybe the tongue is swollen. She could have gotten poked. I had a baby once that had that happen.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

what did you do to get it better? i was really worried last night but less now i know she is still eating but sooner the vet tells me she will be ok the better! i will keep you posted
here is a better pic of it

Old 12-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can't remember what the vet gave her. Most likely antibiotics and Prednesone. I also had to syringe feed the baby she was only about 4 weeks old.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

this is off topic, I have nothing to add about her mouth as I trust Hedgiepets advice, but I did notice she needs her nails trimmed, they shouldn't be curled over like that. Good luck with her mouth.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
this is off topic, I have nothing to add about her mouth as I trust Hedgiepets advice, but I did notice she needs her nails trimmed, they shouldn't be curled over like that. Good luck with her mouth.
they just grow like that at the front that is as short as hers will go any shorter they bleed its weird they never used to do that and its only the front! they have just been trimmed they seem to grow really curly

Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

I hope that your hedgehog is ok. Let us know what the vet says.

About the nail problem. Quigley's nails are a bit curly too but your hedgehog's do seem long. If they are right at the quick you have to clip them as much as you can weekly until the quick recedes. If they aren't trimmed often enough for a while then the quick grows out into the nail and makes the nail long like that.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

ok we went to the vet this morning. they gassed her and said there is a large growth inside her mouth they think it is probably cancer so have sent away a sample. they said there is not much they can really do if it is just make her remaining time more comfortable. there is a chance it is some sort of infection but they dont think so. we have been given anti biotics for now to stop her mouth becoming infected and i need to wait 7 -10 days to get the results. im totally heartbroken! i love my little mo i'll keep you all updated on her progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in