A few questions from a proud owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Quilliam Is My Buddy
Default A few questions from a proud owner

1. I was holding him, and it looked like he has a runny nose, or the wetness of his nose was just rubbing off on me. How can I determine what it was?

2. To anyone who has a Cakewalk Wheel:
-Are they easy to clean?
-How long does it take to clean one?
-Are they safe?
I was looking into buying one.

3. Are most hedgehogs grumpy when they wake up?

4. How long does it take for a hedgehog to forget the scent of its owner?

5. Is there any way to stop a hedgehog from pooping on its wheel?

6. How big do they get?

Any answer to any question is fine.

-Quilliam
Quilliam Is My Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: A few questions from a proud owner

I can answer a few of these.

2. I do not own one, but I have heard they are silent, easy to clean, and extremely safe.

3. Hedgehogs are nocturnal. It depends what time you wake them up. The closer to nightfall, the less grumpy they are.

5. I have never heard of anyone succeeding in trying to train their hedgies not to do this.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

1. I think if he had a runny nose, you'd see boogers or something? I'm not entirely sure on this one, as Lily's never had a problem. She does have a wet nose though, from licking it, so it could've just been that.

2. I do have one, and I love it. It's much, much easier to clean than the Comfort wheel I had before. I usually clean mine every other day, sometimes every two days if Lily hasn't gotten it too messy, and it takes me about 10 minutes to clean the wheel and base. They're very safe for hedgehogs of any size. The only issue with them at the moment is that the man who makes them, Reaper, has been having health issues and is very backed up on orders right now. So you may want to wait until he gets caught up to order one, to avoid frustration.

3. Yup, same as many people are a tad grumpy when they first wake up, or are woken up. Just be quiet, patient, and gentle, and give him a chance to wake up completely before trying to play with him or anything.

4. I'm not sure, really.

5. Nope. They potty as they run around in the wild, so they do it as they run in the cage, which is usually on the wheel. It's just one of the parts of hedgehog care that hedgie owners have to get used to. Very rarely, hedgehogs will become so well litter trained that they'll get off the wheel to go poop in their litter box, but the majority of hedgehogs just go on their wheel.

6. It depends on the individual hedgehog. Lily is full grown at about 350-400 grams. There are some hedgehogs that are full grown (and healthy, not obese) at 900 grams.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on your new hedgie I was able to answer a couple of the questions you had
1. I'm not sure with the runny nose, I haven't run into this yet.
2. I don't have a CWS but have a home made version of it because I was unwilling to wait the amount of time it would take to get one. They are very quiet and easy to clean and provide a good depth to run on, the size of them also are nice letting the hedgie not arch when running.
3. Mine gets very mad when he gets woken up during the day if it involves him getting taken out of his bed lol I don't run into this often but there are days, like today where he had to totally evacuate his cage for a unplanned full cleaning because he had a party last night and got his liner got soaked (my dishes can't be tipped but there was a mysterious blanket that was put into it that siphoned the entire bowl onto the liner...I wonder if it was intentional (jk)because his igloo and fleece strips were moved and dry on the other side lol) If its just a regular spot cleaning he just stays snuggled and ignores me while I do my thing, if its a day I change the liner I spot clean and wash dishes that morning and wait til late to get him out and scrub and rewash dishes so I'm not waking him up. I give him a quick once over in the morning to make sure he didn't get hurt while I was sleeping and he tolerates it without to much grumbling lol I wait til he wakes up before I get him out to play which is usually 11 or 11:30pm.
4. Not sure about the scent because we haven't went a night without playing since he came to live with me in October I do know though that they have a very good sense of smell and hearing and mine can hear me crack the mealie container from the other room and will run when they smell them lol Mine can smell who's near his cage and won't come out unless its just me Its very fascinating and amazing how good their sense of smell is.
5. I don't think there is any way to train them not to. Mine is potty trained and won't go on the wheel but from what I've heard this is rare and I don't think there would be any way to train this I just got very lucky that mine does this on his own. The only thing I did to encourage it was put 2 folded papertowels down and put his poop on it, he did all the rest and if he decided not to I would have just had more cleaning too do but I was already prepared for either outcome
6. Mine is still growing but so far he fits comfortably in my hand

Congratulations on your new hedgie and I can't wait to see pics
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Quilliam Is My Buddy

Well, thanks for the congrats and everything, but I've had my hedgehog since June of 09!
Anyways, thanks for the replies, and this really helped. He's getting used to me now! I might convince my dad to get a litter box for him, so we won't have to buy a new wheel! I am a very determined owner and will not give up until I have the PERFECT hedgie!

Pics coming soon, by the way!

-Quilliam
Quilliam Is My Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I am a very determined owner and will not give up until I have the PERFECT hedgie!
You mean, you won't give up until you realize that your hedgie has trained you perfectly to suit his own needs.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in