Can someone help? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By abbys
  • 1 Post By AngelaH
  • 1 Post By Hadleym
  • 1 Post By maralynn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Can someone help?

I have had Oscar for a month tomorrow, when I first got him he was kind of chunky and very grumpy, the person who owned the pet store never played with Oscar or his cage mate, and they had no toys or wheel to play with. The first day or so he was grumpy but got use to me, and as the days went on he got more and more friendly. Tonight I noticed that he has lost a little bit if weight, remember he was a chunky little guy when I got him, so I decided I would have him try a hard boiled egg for the first time. The first bite (the yellow) he seemed to really enjoy but the second bite he hated, and then he started acting weird and still is. I tried to give him some water but he wouldn't take any, the rest of the night he would get super close to me and lay down like a dog would and not into a ball. He was acting as if he were scared, but then as quickly as he laid down he would be up scampering all over the place. And he was way friendlier than normal, he wanted nothing more than to be on my chest or nestled by my arm. (He has never been this friendly and i dont see him turning this friendly in just a days time) My home is always 75 degrees, and he has plenty of water and food access. I don't know if something is wrong or if I am just over reacting. Can someone please tell me if your little one has ever acted this way?
maralynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can't say that I can explain the behavior but if you're providing him with a wheel for the first time that may explain the drop in weight. Some hedgehogs exercise a lot more than others and people sometimes decide to increase the fat content for these heavy runners if they feel they're getting too thin.
Gruff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do you know type of food is best to do that with?

Old 11-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you taken him to the vet yet for a wellness checkup? That would be a good idea since you got him from a pet store. Pet stores often have unhealthy hedgies and his behavior could be something that a vet needs to look at.

Also, even if you keep your house warm, it's important that you have a digital thermometer for his cage and a heating setup, at least for backup purposes. (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...g-cooling.html, https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...implified.html)

Kitten food typically has a higher fat content and you could try slowly mixing in some of that to his current food. These threads are helpful for choosing good foods and how to determine the content and quality:

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...nutrition.html

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...oods-list.html

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...food-list.html
maralynn likes this.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Comfy and happy hedgies tend to lay down all stretched out instead of balled up, we call it 'splatting' He could have just been finally feeling comfortable and content.

But use your instincts, if you feel it was because something was wrong, monitor him closely and take him to a vet. It's always a good idea to take a new pet in for a check-up anyway and to establish a relationship with a vet before an emergency happens.

He sounds like a very adorable little guy!
maralynn likes this.
AngelaH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think it's one of two things, depending on how old young he is it might have upset his stomach a little bit. Especially with it being a new food. New foods should be introduced very slowly, as they can cause diarrhea. But as long as his poop is normal he should be just fine. Often times animals who don't feel very well cuddle up with their owner, the same way a little kid would.

It could be that, or he might be showing his happiness to you for giving him a treat. Some hedgehogs are very food motivated (mine really is!!), he does the same thing when I feed him from my hand.

Either way he is showing you that he is comfortable with you, he feels safe. But I do agree you should take him in for a check up.

Abbys gave you some great links to follow, most hedgehog foods you can find at the pet store aren't very healthy.

Best of luck! I hope Oscar feels better!
maralynn likes this.
Hadleym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you guys so much! I will definitely take him for a check up soon. And thank you for the links! He has been doing great today. He was back to his little ol self, as I monitored him all day!
abbys likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in