dry skin - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default dry skin

Hey guys!
Bellatrix is doing wonderfully so far. I got her a little less than a month ago (the 15th will be a month) and she was about 6 weeks old when i got her. She's totally comfortable with me now, just a little huffing until she realizes it's me. She lovess to burrow, I had to start putting fleece under her cage cause she started pooing on the carpet! Anyway, I've only given her 3 baths so far, I put flax seed oil capsules in water and let them dissolve and then pour it over her back. Yesterday I started putting it over her kibble also. I noticed that she has a lot of dandruff, and a few quills coming loose. Her ears are looking a bit ragged too so I started putting some vaseline on them. Anyway, I'm trying to find an aveeno oatmeal bath with no luck so far. Do you think her dry skin will clear up after that or do I need to take her to the vet to get checked? It's quite a bit of dandruff and I can hear her itching once in a while. I just want to make sure I get her better soon, and I'm not sure which is the best course of action.
azechman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: dry skin

Is she quilling? If so, some of her dry skin problems could be caused by the quilling. Riley, one of mine, had huge dry flakes come off while he quilled. After he finished the dry flakes went away. A little itching could also be from new quill growth coming in (as well as some of the grumpiness).

You should be able to find the Aveeno in just about any wal-mart, k-mart, target, etc. I use Aveeno Body Wash for mine. It works great! http://www.aveeno.com/productDetail.do?prodid=1418

Also, do not over do the bathes. Too many and it can actually cause the dry skin to get worse. It washes away all of the natural oils.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I spent a long time looking for the aveeno oatmeal bath as well. I finally asked someone and she said it was in the baby aisle..but there was only the baby version.

I wasnt convinced it was the right kind so I kept looking around. If you check the aisle where they keep the anti itch creams/powders you will find the oatmeal bath there.

Talk about an epic adventure!
Adryon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

They had a huge wall of aveeno products at my target, and no oatmeal bath. I gave and began to search for qtips when all of a sudden... AVEENO OATMEAL BATH! random.
So far I've only given her baths about every week and a half (give or take a few days) shes quite clean so I don't see a need to do it any more than that.
She is quilling, but only a little bit. I don't see that many quils laying around, mostly just the dry skin
azechman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

You could also use vitamin E oil, Pepper was sitting on my lap and i was petting him and he got up and started exploring and i noticed there was ALOT of flakes, so i put vitamin e oil on his back and it cleared up in that day.. he hasnt been flaking since.. and like a few months ago he had this nasty rash thing on his back, i noticed it when he had his leg up and was scratching his back, because i thought it was blood and I put vitamin e oil on his back to see if it would clear and it did.. It ha sworked for me so far.
Allysonbledsoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in