advice please? Turbo has a sore toe! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default advice please? Turbo has a sore toe!

This morning I was cleaning out my little guys cage and checked on him as I always do in the mornings and his toe was bleeding, well it had been bleeding it wasn't bleeding when I saw it, I tried to get a closer look but naturally its probably giving him a bit of pain so he wasn't too happy with me having a look, there is a lot of dried blood all over his toe its his big toe, the first one on the foot. This is the first injury he's had so I'm extremely panicky about it. I just wanted some advice, do I bathe him? I don't know how hes done it I assume its to do with his toenail but as I said I couldn't take too much of a look so I'm going to look later as its the morning here. I've removed his wheel from the cage, I assume I do this till he's better? Is there anything I can use to clean it to stop infection or anything? I hate to think he's in pain! Although saying that his personality was the same when I got him out, as loving as ever.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: advice please? Turbo has a sore toe!

I would give him a foot bath(with just plain water), so that the blood washes off and you can actually SEE what damage has been done. See whether it's because he ripped a nail, or actually has a cut on his toe.

You should also try taking out the wheel for at least tonight, so give the wound some to close, and to try to keep it clean. And IF he tolerates it, then yes, keep the wheel out for a few days. However, if he starts picking up habits like climbing and rubbing his nose along the side of the cage out of boredom, then you will just have to be more vigilant about giving him a foot bath every morning to clean his foot.

Some...(key word... some) hedgies will tolerate regular strength polysporin/neosporin dabbed on their wounds. So you can give that a try once the wound has been cleaned. Just make sure it's regular strength.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you Immortalia that was very helpful.

I checked on his foot last night and it looked the same, this morning though it looks alot better It does look like he caught his toe nail although its hard to see how and i'm not completely certain on this, their feet are so small but his toe is not bleeding, he does not limp when walking and when i was touching his foot today he wasn't pulling it away like yesterday so touch wood it's healing. I think i might leave his wheel out tonight as i want to make sure he is fully ok, & not going to damage his toe more tonight, instead he just trashes his cage.

I've never heard of this ''polysporin/neosporin'' can you get this in the UK?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Neosporin is the brand name of a triple antibiotic ointment. Look for one that is normal strength and more importantly doesn't contain any pain relievers. Neoporin's ingredients are: Bacitracin Zinc, Neomycin Sulfate, and Polymyxin B Sulfate.

Foot wounds happen sometimes. They often heal very quickly though. Cleaning of the site of the injury, keeping the wheel out for a few days (length depending on the wound) and applying a very tiny dab (I use a cotton swab to apply) of triple antibiotic ointment and often you will find the hedgehog has healed up quickly. Just watch the site for redness and swelling. If these occur you may need to get an oral antibiotic.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Turbo! Poor baby. You must get well before Santa comes and fills your stocking with treats!!! Get well little one.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you Shetland, he certainly does have alot of treats waiting for him from Santa

And thank you Kalandra, i've never heard of it but I will have a look, and will keep his wheel out for tonight as well, hopefully he can have it back tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I took a look at a few chemist websites, and cannot find a triple antibiotic ointment. You may have to talk to your chemist to see if he knows what we are trying to tell you to use! And if you find out what it is called, let us know! That way we can help translate to others from the "other side of the pond" in the future much easier .

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes I have to admit I do get baffled by the american versions of things I.e food etc on here that is talked about but I've managed to work my way around it and figure certain things out. Thanks for looking though and I will definately post if I find the equivalent in the uk!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a suggestion! I will have wee Turbo come and live with me for a while and I can provide him with all the Polysporin he needs! I think it will only take about 6, or 8, or 10 or 12 months. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetland
I have a suggestion! I will have wee Turbo come and live with me for a while and I can provide him with all the Polysporin he needs! I think it will only take about 6, or 8, or 10 or 12 months. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Good try Shetland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in