Sick?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sick??

well i'm new here i've been looking around for a while but finally decided to join because my hedgehog may be sick and i need advice.

i got my hedgehog, Taz, about 3 months ago. he adjusted well and was doing great for a long time. I filled his bowl with food and it would usually last him about a week and a half or two weeks. He always ran on his wheel for a long time at night, and every once in a while i would give him a piece of chicken and he loved it. He recognized my voice and would come up to the cage door when i talked to him. About a week ago, he started acting different. He's been puffing up at everything, even my voice. He ate his whole bowl of food in two days. He's only ran on his wheel once that i know of. He's been sleeping in his house all the time, except once he wouldn't get out of his litter box. I tried to give him a piece of chicken and he smelled it and turned his head away. When i get him up he acts ok, and there's nothing physically wrong with him.I have a space heater and the temp in his cage is usually about 75 degrees, and he gets plenty of light. I don't know if there's something really wrong, or what. Please let me know if you think you know what could be wrong. Thank you
alaina16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sick??

Hm. Hard to say.
What's his poop look like, has it changed?
Have you seen any quills laying around that indicate he could be quilling? They get grumpy when they go through that.
What kind of food do you feed him?
I have a shallow bowl of food so I have to wash and refill each night. It helps to monitor how much he is eating, some people on here count the kibble as well but I haven't started doing that yet. You could try that to monitor him.

I'd say if his poop has changed consistency to take him to a vet.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

hmm his poop is pretty much the same, a little bigger but i assume thats from him eating more. i havent noticed any quills, but ill check more carefully. i have been putting some in hs bowl every night now instead, but i dont think he's eating any less.

i think he may be getting better. i let him run around a little bit and he seemed pretty happy, but im not sure yet.
alaina16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've been thinking about it since you first posted and haven't been able to come up with a particularly good answer. I do have a couple thoughts that I'll post:
--> Maybe temperature, light, or humidity related? You can try bumping it up to 76 instead of 75. Making sure his light is very consistent - put it on a timer to be certain - and make sure night time is truely dark. Humidity isn't really something you can control... just thinking about drier winter air might contribute to a behavior change.
--> Maybe his nails have grown too long for comfort, so he's not really into walking/running. Check them out and trim as needed.
--> Maybe his food has gone stale. Try a new bag(s) of food. What kibble is he on now?
--> As he grows up, he will eat and poop less than when he was a growing baby... but shouldn't be down to almost nothing. If you don't already have one, get a scale that measures in grams (like a kitchen scale) and keep really good records of his weight. Weight is a very very good way to gauge when things are getting serious.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in