No energy, barely moves! Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No energy, barely moves! Help!

My hedgehog, Croquet, has been acting very sick lately in the sense that she hardly moves and is very obviously constipated. I've tried pumpkin and a warm bath for it and I'm hoping that gets better. But it also seems like he hasn't been eating or drinking. He attempted to hibernate the other day and I'm not sure if it's because of stress or constipation because of stress that's causing him to not eat or drink. I've, so far, been syringing water into his mouth and I tried giving him strawberries, but he doesn't want anything. I don't know what to do! He looks so pathetic. Please help.

EDIT: I'm probably taking him to the vet tomorrow to ask the professionals' opinions.
HaleyFaisce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vet sounds like a very good option. In the meantime:

Is she pooping at all? If not, and the at-home tricks aren't working (pumpkin, warm bath), it could be a blockage. Some hedgehogs need to be on their wheel to poop. Can she walk on her own? Try getting her on her wheel and gently spin it for her to see if that helps. If she can't walk, maybe rig a sling to support her weight in her wheel? Nancy's done that for injured hogs before.

You might need to syringe food along with water. Baby-food is an easily accessible option for the short term, and you can pick up a more complete diet from the vet.

Have you fixed the cause of the hibernation attempt (cold or insufficient light)? Many hedgehogs require the heat to be bumped up following an attempt.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie&Tibbers View Post
Vet sounds like a very good option. In the meantime:

Is she pooping at all? If not, and the at-home tricks aren't working (pumpkin, warm bath), it could be a blockage. Some hedgehogs need to be on their wheel to poop. Can she walk on her own? Try getting her on her wheel and gently spin it for her to see if that helps. If she can't walk, maybe rig a sling to support her weight in her wheel? Nancy's done that for injured hogs before.

You might need to syringe food along with water. Baby-food is an easily accessible option for the short term, and you can pick up a more complete diet from the vet.

Have you fixed the cause of the hibernation attempt (cold or insufficient light)? Many hedgehogs require the heat to be bumped up following an attempt.
He can walk on his own, but it seems like it's hard for him. It just got worse today. Yesterday, he could walk just fine, he just looked uncomfortable. But today, I had him in a bath and he could hardly make his way to the end of the tub.
Yes, I did fix the cause. I got a space heater for the room his cage is in and I keep a heating pad in his cage.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

It turns out that his condition is much worse than I expected. The vet said that he has blood in his stool and may have had a chronic disease for some time now and he will be giving me some oral medicine to give to him hoping that his condition turns around, but if not in a few days we may have to put him down. It hurts me so much to see him like this. If I have to, I'm going to put him down because for him to suffer is the last thing I want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in