Funny Poop question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie76
Arrow Funny Poop question

I read the whole "poop" section, but something I have been wondering.

Is it unusual for hedgies to have big poop? About the size of a slug / leech?

I have had my adult hedgie for 2 weeks and I have been cleaning her cage and I see all different sizes, but is the size I am inquiring about, abnormal? >.<

Her mood is great. Grumpy in the day per usual and happy in early morning and night. She just has some BIG poopies!!
Stephanie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Funny Poop question

Sounds normal to me. Ender's can be that long, especially if he goes outside the wheel and it hasn't been run in.

Makes you wonder where they put it all, doesn't it
jopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

A while back my bf was watching me clean out my girl's cages and was utterly shocked at how big my hedgie's poo was, lol!! My piggy Kiwi will dole out some pretty big ones

Amazing how such small critters will produce heh?!

As long as they are normal in color and consistency, there is nothing to worry about. I understand the surprise of seeing what these little critters can do sometimes!

Also, when feeding different foods/treats, you can get different results. I remember the first time I offered some scrambled eggs to Kiwi, her wheel was entirely covered in poo the next morning. And I mean ENTIRELY covered!!! It was quite a spectacular display of poo coverage! Not a single millimetre of the wheel surface and inner wall wasn't covered.

Needless to say, both me and the bf were quite impressed with this event! hahahaha
Anny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

I must say, my husband didn't take notice until last night when I handed him our hoggie so I could grab some of her "day gifts" out of her cage she left while we were at work. He turned to me and said "What are you doing..?!??!?! ... That isn't a poopie... *pause.. pause... pause* Oh my, IT IS poopie!!!!"
Needless to say, I was rolling on the floor laughing because I had seen her leave a present this size before and I just about had the same reaction.

I love my little, .... big... pooper. hehehehe
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Riley's poop is disintegrated all over the wheel every night, unless I "catch it" in time when I sneak in after turning off the light for an hour. I am so happy when I can actually clean the wheel before he runs it into the gross disaster of a Flying Saucer. Its BIG no wonder it makes a BIG MESS. Ga-Ross.

Whyte is the pooper machine. You would think he's a rabbit. He poops pellets all over. ALL OVER HIS HOUSE. Even on his food dish, thankfully not in the water dish yet, but holy cow what a pooping machine. Firm, brown, mini-tootsie rolls in size. On the upside, his wheel stays clean and he does use it. HUH! Whatever.

That's it, I'm cleaning his cage this weekend and going to count how many he poops that night because really, its ridiculous I am picking up with a tissue each morning shaking my head wondering if there's really just a poop fairy visiting.

Great conversation, folks, really made me laugh today!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just set up my little Holli's "extended" cage today. Complete with a brand new "flying saucer" wheel. We have had her just a week now, and she's 3 months old. The breeder we got her from told me she had never used a litter box. So, I was sooooo EXCEITED to see poops in the litter box!! When I put her new wheel in today I was kinda scared she wouldn't know what to do with it. But....I found out pretty quick she LOVES the WHEEL !!! There is poop and pee in the wheel every time I go check on her!! I wonder why the little Hedgies can't say.."oh, wait, lemme quit runnin for a sec, and go to my litter box, I gotta go poop"!! Just the thought of her pooping and peein and then runnin in the mess !! It's just AWFUL !!!
KellyA100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hear ya Kelly! I am leaving for a 3 day trip and have to have my family babysit Pequop. I was just on the phone trying to explain to my mother about how she needs to get rid of Pequop's "poopy boots" daily and I was met with dead silence. I never really thought about how crazy we must sound telling others how to care for our little lovers (especially since most of us are super picky and want the BEST of care), but I know I had to sound ridiculous.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

hahhhahaa Poopy boots!!!! I'm SURE YOUR MAMA THOUGHT YA WERE CRAZY, Stephanie!!! I dread the day when I gotta take a trip and leave little Holli with somebody!! I would have to write a whole book of Care Instructions!!
KellyA100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in