Still gaining weight - getting worried - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Still gaining weight - getting worried

Piglet is getting, for lack a better word, chunktastic.

From spring - summer he held steady at 393g, and in mid-summer he started putting on weight. He is now 430g. He can still ball up, and when he does his skin isn't stretched to the extreme, but it does appear to be a bit tight.

- I stopped giving him daily treats towards the end of July, and in September I added lower calorie kibble to his mix. He previously had a mix of 2 foods at 478 and 502 calories (Blue Buffalo Indoor & Wellness Core Original). He now has a mix of three foods:

Blue Buffalo:
Crude protein 32%
Crude fat 15%
Crude fiber 4.5%
Moisture 10%
Calories 478

Blue Basics:
Crude protein 30%
Crude fat 12%
Crude fiber 3.5%
Moisture 10%
Calories 373

Wellness Turkey & Potato:
Crude protein 38%
Crude fat 18%
Crude fiber 6%
Moisture 11%
Calories 411

- I know the Wellness has high protein and fat, but he had already gained 30g before I added that food to the mix. Right now it's an equal mix of all three foods, but I could increase the ratio of Blue Basics.

- He's eating the same quantity - I give him three teaspoons every night, and he eats 2 - 2 1/2.

- In early September I started putting 4-5 drops of flaxseed oil on his food for dry skin. I discontinued the oil after 2 weeks because he was starting antibiotics and I didn't want to overwhelm his tummy with new stuff. His skin cleared up so I have not resumed the oil.

- Mid-September he had peanut butter (maybe 1/4 tsp) twice a day for 10 days because that was the only way he'd take his antibiotics. However, he already weighted 425-430g at the time he saw the vet to get the antibiotics so that doesn't appear to be the main culprit.

- He may be running less, but I honestly don't know if it's just me over-thinking things. Same with sleeping. He could be sleeping more, but it could also just be me.

I love the chubby cheeks, but the fat rolls are concerning and I'm worried about how unhealthy he's getting (see picture). If he is in fact running less, that's the only other "symptom" I'm seeing. How can I encourage him to run more? If I try to keep him awake in the afternoon so he can run around, he just sleeps more at night. Any ideas what could be causing this? Based on the picture, does it look like I should be worrying?

Chubs.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't see "fat rolls" around his legs that would truly indicate that he's overweight... I do see some folds of skin behind the front legs, but it's possible that what you're seeing in person just isn't coming across in the picture, but the pictures of overweight hedgies I've seen, it was plainly obvious, it wasn't a "maybe if I look at it just right" situation.

I think he's probably fine. If you are worried then stop feeding wellness (or cut it back a lot). You could even try adding a leaner food (like Chicken Soup Lite) if you are worried his diet has too much fat.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

He's just so... squishy!

In the last couple seconds of this video you can see some leg folds as he walks away.

I think I'll decrease the Wellness just to be safe.

On the plus side, the fatter his cheeks get the more he likes it when I rub them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in